So I've been taking guitar lessons for a couple of months learning some basic rock techniques, and my instructor is getting pretty insistent that I choose to start learning jazz or blues guitar. I really have no idea which one to choose though as I don't have any significant experience with either genre. Can someone help me with this ???
I'd pick blues, as this style has effected rock the most, ie. guns n' roses, zeppelin, thin lizzy etc.
Well, a lot of music is founded on the blues (including jazz)

So Blues would give you a good foundation. But there is no reason why you couldnt move onto jazz after a while.
Most guitarists learn blues, but if, you learn jazz, you will be able to play most anything.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Thanks for the quick responses, I was thinking I might choose blues because that's the style of led zeppelin and I think it's the style my teacher knows the most about. I was just wondering if it's cliche to learn blues guitar first or not.
Quote by 1337pwnxors
Thanks for the quick responses, I was thinking I might choose blues because that's the style of led zeppelin and I think it's the style my teacher knows the most about. I was just wondering if it's cliche to learn blues guitar first or not.

doesnt really matter if its cliche or not. Its a good place to start. I wouldn't work on jazz if you are a beginner, especially if its not something you listen to.
shred is gaudy music
I would choose Blues, because i'm not big on jazz and it is really similar to rock in terms of stlye.
I would suggest that you start with blues because it is much simpler and it is the foundation for a lot of music. Learning jazz would add a lot to your playing but it is much harder to learn to play than blues is. So learn blues first then jazz later.
Choose your own style, one that you can identify with, persoanlly i'm a mix of shred, jazz, and Eric Clapton tunes.
hue
Well I guess Blues gives you a starting point for soloing but learn some licks and then start to learn stuff you like because when you're learning you can only truly be motivated if you're playing something you genuinely like.