Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm giving a speech about the history of the electric guitar and I'm covering the Les Paul, Broadcaster/Telecaster, and the Strat. As a part of my speech I'd like to list 3-4 well known players for each guitar and I'm having trouble creating a list being the pretentious indie kid I am. Preferably players that a more modern college age audience would recognize, so think popular rock/top 40's ****.

So far I have:
LP: Jimmy Page

Telecaster: Keith Richards, Joe Strummer, Bruce Springsteen

Strat: Hendrix, Clapton, Fruciante, John Mayer

Any help?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Slash
Buckethead
Ace Frehley

All LP

Edit:

Ted Nugent, Bob Marly, Joe Walsh...
Last edited by Cumbersome at Mar 27, 2008,
LP: Jimmy Page, Slash, Zakk Wylde? Buckethead?, Les Paul himself, Duane Allman, Billy Joe Armstrong xD,
LP: Buckethead, Slash
Tele: El Hefe
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Strat - John Frusciante (Sp?)
Tele - Izzy Stradlin
LP - Joe Perry

Edit: forgot Cobain - Strat
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Wikipedia it.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
LP:Slash, Les Paul, Duane Allman, Peter Frampton
Telecaster:Elvis, George Harrison, Jimmy Page used one for stairway to heaven
Strat: Dick Dale, David Gilmore
seeing as there are so many LPs already
Tele: John 5, Jim Root
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I think you've got your answers already

but

les Paul: Kirk Hammett

Strat: Van Halen

telecaster: Joe Strummer.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Do a piece about Les Paul himself.

Yeah, I agree. The guy was a wicked guitar player and did so much to develop the electric guitar, he must at least get a mention.
Quote by Octtwe88
Surprised no one said Zakk Wylde for Les Paul yet.

scroll up the page
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Start: Richie Blackmore, Ywengie malmsteen (or however you spell it), EVH
if its over the electric guitar you CANT forget: Charlie Christian
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by snipelfritz
Hey, I'm giving a speech about the history of the electric guitar and I'm covering the Les Paul, Broadcaster/Telecaster, and the Strat. As a part of my speech I'd like to list 3-4 well known players for each guitar and I'm having trouble creating a list being the pretentious indie kid I am. Preferably players that a more modern college age audience would recognize, so think popular rock/top 40's ****.

So far I have:
LP: Jimmy Page

Telecaster: Keith Richards, Joe Strummer, Bruce Springsteen

Strat: Hendrix, Clapton, Fruciante, John Mayer

Any help?

Not sure many people would recognize Fruciante and Mayer as famour strat players. They are, no doubt. But the average audience might not know that.

LP: Slash, Peter Frampton
Telecaster: You got a good list
Strat: David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Ibby
I think you've got your answers already

but

les Paul: Kirk Hammett

Strat: Van Halen

telecaster: Joe Strummer.

Doesn't kirk use like esp?

EDIT: FROM WIKI:

Guitars

* ESP M-II "Zorlac". This was the starting line for the whole KH series. It features vertical skull & crossbones opposed to the horizontal ones featured on todays KH's, and an upside down Jackson Guitars style headstock which is what Kirk originally intended. However, Jackson Guitars was not thrilled about this, and threatened law suits if this model ever hit stores. So the headstock was changed to a typical ESP but flipped upside down.[5][6]
* ESP KH-2 (Main touring guitar) Kirk's signature model guitar is based upon the modifications he made to his M-II. (Nicknamed "Skully" because of the skull and crossbone inlays)[7]
* ESP KH-2 M-II - Boris Karloff Mummy I graphic (Kirk's favorite guitar. Kirk owns the rights to the image on it and it will NOT be released by ESP.[8]
* ESP KH-2 M-II - Ouija. This guitar contains 2 spelling errors on it. It sports the words "WILLIAM FUED TALKING BAARD SET" but it in fact should say "WILLIAM FULD TALKING BOARD SET"[9]
* ESP KH-2 M-II - Boris Karloff Mummy II graphic. Same as the Mummy I but with hieroglyph inlays.[10][11]
* ESP KH-2 M-II "**** You" KH-4. It's the same as a typical KH-2, but with a pearloid pickguard, dot inlays, a Roland midi unit (for roland vg8/vg88), and the words "**** YOU" written at the 12th fret.[12]
* ESP ESP MII Skully 7 String. Though it belongs to Kirk, James mainly used it in the studio for St. Anger. It doesn't go on tour, rather than stays home with Kirk.[13]
* ESP KH-3 Eclipse - Pushead Spider graphic. It is taken from a classic les paul jr. shape with floyd rose and EMG pickups.[14]
* Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 also known as "Black Beauty"; Kirk also uses regular Les Pauls at some performances[15]
* Jackson Randy Rhoads Model RR1T custom made from the shop specifically for Kirk. It is usually tuned one step down from standard e, and used for the song "Sad But True".[16]
* ESP KH-1 Flying V[17]
* ESP KH-2 M-II - Skull & Crossbones II
* ESP M-II Red Frankenstein graphic
* ESP M-II Skull & Crossbones I
* ESP WaveCaster Blue- Wave Machine (Only 3 in existence.)[18]
* Fender Stratocaster 1998 - American black and green Stratocaster
* 1974 Gibson Flying V (Used mainly for recording the first four albums. In 1989 he replaced the stock pickups with EMG 81s. Was the third guitar he ever owned.[19]

Kirk Hammett's first guitar was a Montgomery Ward brand guitar, with a shoebox and small speaker for an amplifier.[20]

Metallica's "St. Anger" DVD rehearsals features a new guitar which has "Invisible Kid" written on it, which he uses in the song "Invisible Kid".

[edit] Amplifiers
Quote by Doodleface
Not sure many people would recognize Fruciante and Mayer as famour strat players. They are, no doubt. But the average audience might not know that.

Most of the people in the class (Its a public speaking class not a guitar class, sorry if I didn't say that before) are far more likely to recognize RHCP or John Mayer than Guns 'n Roses or The Clash to be honest.

Thanks, you guys have totally helped me out, but if anybody has one more recent more "popular" telecaster player, I think I'd want to fit them in.
Quote by lefthandman9876
not true tony blair plays a strat :P

true it is a strat

Tony Blair plays guit? He should get together and jam with Mike Huckabee some time. Just get Putin on drums and you could start a band called "The United Nations." /bad puns
lmao, good stuff

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
I'm sure EVH played a Krammer, unless he used a strat before or after....don't flame me, I'll come at you like a mighty bazooka.

Quote by lefthandman9876
not true tony blair plays a strat :P

Does that look like a strat to you ?
Quote by josh999x

I remember him playing a blue strat.

I dunno.

Quote by josh999x

I am so using that pic for my presentation!
Les Paul- Slash, Jimmy Page, Buckethead, Billi Joe Armstrong, Frank Zappa, Zakk Wylde, Thomas Erik (i think thats his name, from Fall of Troy)

Tele- Brad Paisley, Mattrach , John 5, Joe Strummer, James Root (slipknot, stone sour) Syd Barrett, Bob Dylan (used a black and white 58 in his first electric concert), Johnny Greenwood (radiohead) Matt Bellammy (from muse, its not exactly a tele but has the most similar shape out of any other guitar) Sly Stone,

Strat- John Mayer, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, Albert Hammond Jr, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughn,

you could say something about how alot of artists use all of those brands guitars such as Zappa, Jimmy PAge and John Frusciante- whom all used Les Pauls, Teles and Strats,
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Page 1 of 2