Right, I'm poor but I'm in need of a new guitar!

I'm thinking of buying an Epi Les Paul Standard and sticking a set of Dimarzio Superdistortion's in it. However having stuck a Motherbucker in my Ibanez SA which is essentially made of chipboard I don't want to waste the money on Superdistortions if I'm not going to get the max benefit of them (I know the Motherbucker is an awesome pickup and wish I'd never put it in my SA). From what I've heard Epi's are made of pretty solid materials and in the case of the Elitists can top the Gibson Les Paul Studio.

This is an alternative to forking out for a high end ESP or a high end Ibanez RG.

I reckon the Epi with the superdistortion's would cost me about £500 ($1,000,000,000...i joke!) and i think I get more guitar with that than any stock at that price.

Your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
if you get one get epi standard plain top. it is solid mahogany i dont think the other ones are.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by garrett7
if you get one get epi standard plain top. it is solid mahogany i dont think the other ones are.

Good guitar there. I also think it's solid Mahogany.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Cheers!
Quote:
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
yes the standard one is much better than the special

i didn't even change the pickups on mine(i did adjust though)

...unless your looking for AMAZING tone you should be set
No the standards are made out of solid quality wood. Its the really cheap one like specials that have the junk wood.
I have an ebony Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
I'm very happy with it.
If you buy one, I suggest trying to get one that was made in Qingdao, China.
You can tell these by the serial number. The first 2 characters in the serial number are "EE". The general consensus is that Epiphones made in this factory are generally a better quality than those made in other locations (Even USA in some cases).
It's a good quality guitar stock. It came with grover tuners which do the job well.
The stock pickups are decent enough although I bought some GFS FAT PAT pickups for it. Was a nice improvement IMO.
GFS has some very nicely priced humbuckers and loads of other pickups.
My main guitar is an epiphone Les Paul Standard in Cherry Sunburst. It's a great guitar, it sounds perfect, and the wood is just beautiful. It's got a really nice flame top and the grain on the mahogany on the back and neck just shimmers in the light. Whenever I go to the guitar store I play a couple of the epiphones they have there, and they just aren't the quality of mine. I couldn't be happier with the guitar, especially since I got it on sale for $450ish.

So if you're going to get an epiphone, make sure and play it in the store and make sure you get one of the good ones. From what I've heard, you can get a really good quality one that rivals a gibson, or a **** quality one that buzzes and sounds crap and looks crap.
I have a Plain top standard in Vintage Sunburst, very well made. I think mine was MIK. It has very nice wood, and sounds good even stock.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeh, I bought the guitar on ebay, so I've kinda missed the opportunity to play it. I dont know the serial number yet but wikipedia (yes that reliable source of knowledge) has a good guide of how to establish where it was made etc... I think the one I've bought is a 1996 model. I know a good tech so any buzz/crackle etc can be fixed, I'm more bothered about the wood to be honest. Thanks guys you've been helpful
Quote: