Hey all, I just started about two weeks ago and I know just about nothing. Chords still confuse me a bit (like if you tell me to play a C chord, I can do it, but I don't really know how to work it into songs) and I'm just getting a bit more familiar with the fretboard (like I can play stuff without looking at it).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for songs I could practice with.

I need to emphasize that this has to be the simplest stuff imaginable. Like I'm not sure how to do a bend, I can do hammer ons and pull offs (but not very well) and I can't play that fast.

I'd like something rock-sounding, but if that isn't possible, stuff like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star works too. Basically I just want something that has a recognizable sound so I feel like I'm actually playing something while I practice.
Forgive the newbish question, but what exactly should I go about learning for that? (Keep in mind I have absolutely 0 musical experience, ever).

Like is that figuring out where the notes are on the fretboard and what different kind of notes are (like wholes and halfs) or am I just completely wrong?
Quote by Morag2
Forgive the newbish question, but what exactly should I go about learning for that? (Keep in mind I have absolutely 0 musical experience, ever).

Like is that figuring out where the notes are on the fretboard and what different kind of notes are (like wholes and halfs) or am I just completely wrong?

i wouldnt go around figuring out notes on the fretboard leave that for later.
try learning some simple riffs (from tab its much easier to understand) e.g. smoke on the water, 7 nation army, sunshine of your love

if you don't know how to read tab have a look at this as well
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/reading_guitar_tablature.html
I do know how to read to tab (that's pretty simple, even for me). And I can actually play the smoke on the water riff. I will take a look at the other songs you suggested though.

And I will be starting lessons within the next few weeks, so that will help me figure some stuff out. But I'm eager to get started, so just leaving the guitar to collect dust while I wait to start lessons doens't work for me.
Here's a few to be getting on with, these are all basic chord arrangements for these songs. Bear in mind that they may not sound exactly how you expect because there's no riffs or lead parts there, it's literally just the chords so you can strum along...when you get familiar with the songs you can always look up a more complex version. Don't worry if there's the odd chord in there you don't recognise either, they'll all be based on the shapes you already know and will likely only have one note altered.

Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater Revival - D A G
Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan - G D Am7 C
Rockin in the Free World, Neil Young - E D C G Em A
Hey Joe, Jimi Hendrix - C G D A E
Wild Thing, The Troggs - A D E G
House of the Rising Sun, The Animals- Am C D F E
Live Forever, Oasis - G D Am7 C Fmaj7 Em
Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Poison - G C D Em Cadd9
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison - G C D Em D7
Same Jeans, The View - C F G F#

Bad moon rising is probably the simplest but might be a bit quick, House of the Rising Sun is nice and slow but you need to arpeggiate the chords to get it to sound spot on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get you a beginner Hal Lenoard or Alfred guitar book. Goes over open strings, and notes from the first (?) position. Learn to play simple note songs, work on your sight reading and get some basic theory as well.

Not bad for $7-$8.

Or, you can just youtube your ass off like I did and still do.