well, of course AFTER i buy my expenive JCM900, a Valve king and now a 5150 pops up for sale

i`ve heard nothing but good things about the peavy 5150 and it`s only $600 should i look into buying it??? i doubt i`d have trouble selling my Marshall.... it`s a Marshall after all

don`t get me wrong but i love my Marshall it`s just this 5150 is 150 watts compared to 50 watts, (the add says 150 i thought they were 100???)

should i consider selling the JCM900 and picking up the 5150?
5105 is 120w, What style of music you playing?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Are you selling it just because the Peavey has more watts? Unless I'm much mistaken it's 120Watts not 150. It's a good amp but don't just get it because it has more watts.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Is the Marshall too quiet for you?

Because you shouldn't look at only watts when choosing an amp - look for the sound (...yeah). 50 watts should still be too loud.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thrash metal

Slayer mostly and stuff my band makes up, which is also thrashy

plans for the Marshall include:

4X12 Marshall cab
Nose gate
10 band EQ
Wah pedal
and some pedal to make the leads stick out alittle more. maybe an O/D

i`ve always wanted a Marshall and now i finally get one BUT the 5150/6505`s are almost god statis around here, don`t hear much about the JCM900 it`s all about the 800`s.

Edit.

I`m just worried the 5150 is a better amp for less money, i`m not going JUST by the watts it puts out, but ya in band pratice i gotta crank that Marshall and i`m just worried bein that it`s so old that something is gonna burn up, it seems fine so far though.
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Mar 27, 2008,
well do you play clean a lot. the jcm has a way better clean channel. and how brutal do you like your distortion? the jcm can get those old thrashy tones, but the 5150 has the ability to go a lot heavier. which you may or may not need
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well do you play clean a lot. the jcm has a way better clean channel. and how brutal do you like your distortion? the jcm can get those old thrashy tones, but the 5150 has the ability to go a lot heavier. which you may or may not need

honestly... i`m not sure if i want to go heavyer

basicly the only cleans i do is when i`m playin Seasons in the Abyss or 213

my biggest complant with the JCM900 is the low end isn`t quite there BUT i`m not blaming it on the amp YET.... i`m only running a 2X12 cab i`m hoping that problem is gonna be fixed when i get a 4X12

also i was thinking of maybe modding the JCM900... (not me but paying someone that knows what there doing) to get even more gain.

the biggest thing is price, the 5150 is $600 the JCM900 $900 and when i bought it, it was the cheapest tube amp i could find.
well the 5150 definitely has a lot of low end. to be honest, you really need to try out the 5150. both amps are great for what you want, but which one is the best choice for you is only up to you
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
marshall = thrash

dude 50 watts of tube is alot

and a vk would only cost about 600 new

idk i would keep the jcm
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
My opinion, you should try out the 5150 yourself, but dont just plug it in and say yeah its good, mess with the EQ etc. If you like it more than the JCM 900, get it.
you could two-amp it... get a line splitter/ ABY box

Marshall + 412, Peavey + 212, get some combination sounds!

Whats money for if not for spending on things you like?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Pooinsky
My opinion, you should try out the 5150 yourself, but dont just plug it in and say yeah its good, mess with the EQ etc. If you like it more than the JCM 900, get it.

if you cant find a 5150 to play go to your local Guitar Center and they will most likely have a 6505 you can try out (which is the same thing just in case you don't know)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
The 5150's distortion walks all over the 900. JCM 800 is THE thrash amp but for the purposes of this thread the 5150 is your best bet. I have had one for a few years and have had other amps at the same time. I will always have my 5150 were as other amps may come and go.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
i love my JCM900, i wish i could get both LOL.. oh my god that be crazy, wish i had a car right now, but i don`t, gotta wait another month till i can put my GTA back on the road. i`ll probly just stick with the JCM900, i might be getting alot of cash in the near future LOL, maybe i`ll say screw it and get the Marshall JCM8002203KK, that beast i`m sure would rip just about anything apart.

i just hope the EQ and the 4X12 does what i want it too. it not that i need more distortion just alittle more bottem end, so when i`m pulm muting i shake things in my house LOL, which it almost does... shakes the hell outta the drums HAHA

Vandals572 at a live concert your siggy quote is just about right, Slayer Plays everything at like twice the speed it`s suppost to be played at, it`s f`in awesome

NGMF-sam- my nephew has the same problem as the guy in your siggy quote it`s funny, almost every band pratice he dools all over his guitar.