and isn't made from some cheap Chinese company in china?

I'm thinking about buying this from a private seller, but with all the fake guitars floating on the internet I'm afraid that I might buy the wrong one. The reason I ask is because he from a different state, so i wouldn't be able to test the guitar out and asking him for a serial number, might not do any good if he has that part already cover (maybe I'm just paranoid). But with the fake guitar looking exactly like the real one. It has me second guessing making any guitar purchase over the internet.

So how can I get concrete proof that its an Gibson Epiphone les paul custom?

Quote by Sigma-X90
and isn't made from some cheap Chinese company in china?

I'm thinking about buying this from a private seller, but with all the fake guitars floating on the internet I'm afraid that I might buy the wrong one. The reason I ask is because he from a different state, so i wouldn't be able to test the guitar out and asking him for a serial number, might not do any good if he has that part already cover (maybe I'm just paranoid). But with the fake guitar looking exactly like the real one. It has me second guessing making any guitar purchase over the internet.

So how can I get concrete proof that its an Gibson Epiphone les paul custom?

Well, my first concern would be, are they calling it a "Gibson Epiphone"
because while, yes, Epi is owned by Gibby, they never label it like that in retail, so thats fishy right off the bat.

The serial number really is the only way to tell, and hey, he could've given you a fake one, so you just have to see/play it for yourself, if he seems like a nice person..well let me rephrase that..if he seems like he's not an a**hole, he still might be, secretly, so just move along with caution, and good luck.
either its a fake
or they're trying to sell you an epiphone in which case you might be being ripped off
try get a serial number of a photo of the headstock
Ask for more photos or specific areas, if there's no reply move on. Ask for a serial number too, there's absolutely no reason for a valid seller not to disclose it. If they give you one, try and verify it as well, even just by doing a quick google search of the number and seeing if anything else turns up.

One little check I occasionally do is to highlight a short phrase or sentence out of the description and do a phrase seach (" ") on Google. Sometimes you'll then find out that the text (and sometimes photo) has been copied and pasted from another recent sale. Not foolproof, but a useful tip I guess.

Some comapnies have a piracy guide on their site; Gibson and Ibanez spring to mind for a start. There's tons of resources if you're unsure; but in most cases I just wouldn't bother, there's plenty more bargains out there.
yeah, the headstock is an easy way to tell what kind of guitar it really is.
Må Den Svarta Älgen Ta Er!
well, they've gotten to the point now where they will even duplicate the headstocks. there are some pretty convincing Ibanez jem copies floating around that actually say Ibanez. what you want is a shot of the serial number.

but on a side note, it's probably legit, if they're telling you it's an epiphone. most of the scammers would try to tell you it's a gibson. it seems like they're just saying gibson as association that epi is made by gibson.
He might just be trying to get more views by using both names. I would get the serial number just to be sure.
NEW!!! Peavey 6505 (XXX Cab too )
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez Destroyer with EMG-81 and 85
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 112
Roland Cube 20X
How can you tell if the guitar is real?

What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain...

There's no way of telling for sure with an ebay purchase like this, you just have to use your instincts. If you don't trust your instincts enough then don't take the risk.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just for your guys information, it is really easy to smack a serial number on an epiphone or gibson. There's a format in the serial number that determines the stuff, and some websites tell how you can figure it out.

Ask for pictures of the headstock, side view of the headstock / neck, etc.

I think that is a fake counterfeit guitar, not even an epiphone either. The right side of the body doesn't seem to curve like an actual Les Paul, if you REALLY glare at it.