I noticed that GFS measures their pickup output by saying their wound to "14K"

What does that mean? I know DiMarzio measures their pickup output with some ### number, like 450.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
That's the resistance of the pickup, 14kohms. Most of the companies I've seen measure them like that.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
So higher resistance = higher output?

In terms of how hot the pickup is, how much of a difference is there between 14K and 16K?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yep.

As for the difference, I'm going to use three swineshead bridge pickups as an example.

The Warthog is 13.9k and marketed as "a great pickup for rock, blues or metal. ".

The Venom is 15k and marketed as "a great choice for metal and hard rock". (I own one and I'd say it's better for hard rock and less modern metal than it is for br00talz).

The Xbucker is 18.2K and marketed as "Brutally powerful, Perfect for metal and rock. "

Should give you some idea.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
So for the most part 14K is a good balance for modern metal - not too much so it points out every slip up of your playing, and enough for smoother gain?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would say so. I like lower output pups because of their clarity and can even get br00talz with them. With higher output stuff it is generally only for metal and the cleans aren't as good usually.

Yea. I want a bit smoother gain atm. So going for extremely high output didnt seem too good. Also, I love the chrome cover, so I got a GFS Crunchy PAT =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Something to note is that measuring a pickup's resistance is only a way of measuring output. It gives no insight at all in to the frequency response and other tonal indicators.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by mike.h
Yea. I want a bit smoother gain atm. So going for extremely high output didnt seem too good. Also, I love the chrome cover, so I got a GFS Crunchy PAT =)

Nice. Idk if I said this already but I bought a pair of those and they are pretty nice quality just by feeling their build. I haven't tried them yet but I am sure they are a nice stepup from stock pups. I also really liked the clip on the GFS website for the bridge one.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Nice. Idk if I said this already but I bought a pair of those and they are pretty nice quality just by feeling their build. I haven't tried them yet but I am sure they are a nice stepup from stock pups. I also really liked the clip on the GFS website for the bridge one.

Clips?!?!?

Didnt know there were any. Links?

Yea you told me, forgot about that actually.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Another thing that attracted me was the claim that it doesnt squeel at all when close to an amp.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Another thing that attracted me was the claim that it doesnt squeel at all when close to an amp.

So no controlled feedback?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
So no controlled feedback?

I never use that type of feedback. It just annoys me when I get huge squeels as soon as I stop playing.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Kendall
Something to note is that measuring a pickup's resistance is only a way of measuring output. It gives no insight at all in to the frequency response and other tonal indicators.

It's also not actually a way of measuring output - higher resistance =/= higher output.

Hotter pickups do tend to be wound higher than vintage types but DC resistance is in no way an exact indicator of output.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's also not actually a way of measuring output - higher resistance =/= higher output.

Hotter pickups do tend to be wound higher than vintage types but DC resistance is in no way an exact indicator of output.

Then what does indicate output?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator