Hi all,

I have a '98 american strat and im looking to upgrade my pickups. Im getting a lot of hum with the single coils and my main concern is getting as much hum removed as possible. Which do you thing would be the best at reducing hum. Give alternatives if u have them.

Thanks
Last edited by drywater101 at Mar 27, 2008,
The EMG single coils are not so good- the vintage noiseless are pretty nice but their clean tone is just ok. The hot noiseless (I think that's what they're called) have a really nice OD and a similar clean to the vintage noiseless.
Another option are Lace sensors- much better clean tone with the Hot gold set, with similar OD to the fender noiseless. They're much warmer than the fenders. I like the lace sets a lot, except they don't sound like a traditional strat in the 2 and 4 positions. If you really like that quack, stick with the fender pickups, but the lace are the better noiseless pickups to me. What style of music are you using them for?

Edit: check your grounding first, your pickups might be fine but if the ground is bad they'll be noisy.
They're all very quiet. The Vintage noiseless are a tiny bit better that the others just because they're lower output, but all of them are nearly dead silent.
i read this in an article dont know how to do it tho

but Eddie Van Halen use to dip his pickups in candle wax
after the guy that started Charvel did it for him

i know it has something to do with wires not moving which causes buzzing

u could prolly look it up and save some money
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
i read this in an article dont know how to do it tho

but Eddie Van Halen use to dip his pickups in candle wax
after the guy that started Charvel did it for him

i know it has something to do with wires not moving which causes buzzing

u could prolly look it up and save some money

Most pickups nowadays are potted like that at the factory. It's usually only an issue with humbuckers anyway because of the way they're wound.