Ok, so i got this guitar ibanez rg4ex1..... yesterday i broke the string... long story short.. me and my dad replaced all the strings and after some 2 hours tuned that damn thing. Now i read that the EDGE III tremolo no this guitar sucks and will break in a year....

so what is the wisest thing to do? return the guitar and get one with a locking bridge....? or swap out the floating bridge edge III on this one? and which tremolo will be a direct swap?
Quote by Big_Carp
Ok, so i got this guitar ibanez rg4ex1..... yesterday i broke the string... long story short.. me and my dad replaced all the strings and after some 2 hours tuned that damn thing. Now i read that the EDGE III tremolo no this guitar sucks and will break in a year....

so what is the wisest thing to do? return the guitar and get one with a locking bridge....? or swap out the floating bridge edge III on this one? and which tremolo will be a direct swap?

An edge III is a locking trem. It's also a floating trem...?

The guitar itself is good. The trem just wears away fast and needs re-sharpening.. and stuff.
I hear that replacing it with an OFR or an edge pro (that's the one, right?) will be the best thing to do.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
An edge III is a locking trem. It's also a floating trem...?

The guitar itself is good. The trem just wears away fast and needs re-sharpening.. and stuff.
I hear that replacing it with an OFR or an edge pro (that's the one, right?) will be the best thing to do.

what do you mean its a locking trem? come tell me that when it took me 2 hours to tune it.... i thought every trem floats....?
Quote by Big_Carp
what do you mean its a locking trem? come tell me that when it took me 2 hours to tune it.... i thought every trem floats....?

It's both of them. It's locking and floating.

Btw, if you got new strings, stretch them, and keep stretching.
New strings NEVER keep tune straight away. Just stretch them, play, etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Big_Carp

it took you two hours to tune it because you don't know how to...no offense...but i have the same guitar and it takes me 30 minutes....i also have no problems with the tremolo, and i would classify a year and a half as a long time...so take it to someone who knows how to tune it, ask them to replace the strings and tune it up (next time) and watch them and see how they do it. you don't take all the strings off at once.also, it helps to block it before you go about tuning it, so it will stay flat and tune easier. just take the block out when you're done.

and yes, the Edge III is a locking and floating tremolo..
The Edge 3 is a floyd rose copy, therefore it is a Floating/locking trem. It isn't great, If you can find $170 I'd buy an OFR off of warmoth, and since it is a direct drop, simply:
1. Take your strings off, then take the springs off
2. Take out the Edge III
3.drop in the OFR
4. ????
5. PROFIT!!!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i just dont wanna put up with the floating trem... its a PITA. i changed out all the strings no problem, blocked off the bridge with a 9v battery and all.... the tuning is the real bitch here. i mean just when you think you have it right... you tune the last string and it throws the whole thing off. UGH I hate it. its a great guitar but i hate the edge III.
They take some getting used to. If it's unbearable return it and get something with a fixed bridge. There is no law saying you have to have a trem.
edge 3s suck.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
edge 3s suck.

thanks for the helpful comment.

Btw, is every tremelo like OFR.... or edge Pro that hard to tune? im under the impression that the edge III is just worse quality in terms of build.... but as far as tuning itself.... are they all a pita?
Quote by Big_Carp
thanks for the helpful comment.

Btw, is every tremelo like OFR.... or edge Pro that hard to tune? im under the impression that the edge III is just worse quality in terms of build.... but as far as tuning itself.... are they all a pita?

All floating bridges are annoying to tune. I have an edge III a bigsby, and an OFR. Well I took out the Edge III out of my RGT42dx and replaced it with the OFR. Not a big difference. Both bridges are awesome, but then again i only had the edge for like 3 weeks, and tuned it only once. Tuning these type of bridges is a major pain.

Just get something thats string through, or even better something that has a tunematic
PLUS the tail piece. Tuning that is easy, and sustains a lot better.