i am eyeing the sg as my next guitar

i have a few questions :
-cosmetically i am eyeing the supreme perhaps in translucent black, wondering what you get for the higher price tag over say, a standard

-what do people think sounds really good on an sg

-i am recently getting more into metal, i dont like hardcore screamy thrash metal, but i am starting to like the sound of a chug: can the SG handle it? or would i be better off getting an ibanez or jackson
keep in mind i dont only want to play metal, but i have a reasonably good guitar for rock/blues/the such

any input is helpful, SG users and haters alike share your wisdom please!

i thank you in advance

samyou3l
O.o

Ibanez s470DXQM
Roland 120 jazz/chorus

proud member of the Ibanez S-Series owners group
SG kicks ass for bluesy rock. It has more "bite" than a les paul, and I found it to be a bit clearer sounding, probably due to the less excessive ammount of mahogany.

It's quite a versatile guitar, but it excells in the rock territory. It can do a pretty good chug, if you've ever listened to System of a Down.

I personally didn't like the thin body, and the location of the strap pin. But cosmetic preferences are up to you.
They feel a bit too fragile to me. I have a nice hearty strat, I was eying up the SG but it just didn't feel right. Chug wise my recommendation would be a high end LTD. The M series gives all the chugging you could ever need whilst providing plenty of the rockability of a strat/SG.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
I love my Gibson tony Iommi SG. the supreme, from what I hear, doesn't do itself justice from the pickups it has.

if you're looking to to spend that much, take a look at these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Diablo-Electric-Guitar-Red-Metallic?sku=516436

burstbuckers are high output, and should give you a nice "chug"

to top it off, it's 24 fret neck, like the supreme (and like my TI model)
I love my SG, lots of midrange and light weight. and very comfortable to play (for me at least).
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
As an SG player myself, I love it! There is nothing better and the nice biting sound of an SG. I have played many guitars, and in my opinion, the SG beats the Les Paul out of the water. I love how easy it is to access the higher frets and for someone who is getting into metal i would suppose you may need some high fretting for solos and whatnot. Sounds great distorted or clean...w/e your preference.Throw a beatigul finish on it and shreddd.
Thin body. Great Fret access. Go for it. Yes it can handle metal fine. SGs are VERY versatile guitars. Everything from blues to thrash.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
say i was only planning on spending the range of $1000, would it still be worth it to get an sg?
O.o

Ibanez s470DXQM
Roland 120 jazz/chorus

i was just wondering what you get better for the extra cash
O.o

Ibanez s470DXQM
Roland 120 jazz/chorus

I got the opportunity to goto a Long & Mcquade yesterday. I played a few Gibson SG Standards, and some Les Paul Customs while I was there. None of them were a treat to play. I've played a few old Les Pauls and SGs (I own an old SG), and they are really amazing guitars. I was not impressed by any of the newer ones I played, my Epiphone felt much better.

My advice is to look else where.
well on a supreme, it's the finish, the extended neck, the woods(including an ebony fretboard), supposed to be good pickups,( but like I said I've heard othrewise). probably premium tuners/hardware (grovers most likely)

but it looks like this Emg SG has some of those features (at least the ebony fretboard and grover tuners)
Pretty versatile, but I doubt it'll do metal. I dont play metal so I'm biased here. It does jazz blues and classic rock great though. I even shred on mine, using a clean channel though, I rarely use highgain. The pickups on mine are medium output ('57 classics).
I would recommend the Standard.

The Faded ones suck. I've never tried one, but I've heard people play them, and they weren't that great. They lean to the muddy side. Apparently also they aren't as well built.
Quote by sashki
I would recommend the Standard.

The Faded ones suck. I've never tried one, but I've heard people play them, and they weren't that great. They lean to the muddy side. Apparently also they aren't as well built.

Actually some are almost as good and sometimes as good as the standards, the only problem, is they have poor consistency in terms of quality; some are lemons while others are great. The pickups weren't to my liking though, they were good for rock and blues, but I also play metal so I swapped them for SD 59's, and haven't looked back.
How about the '61 reissue? I am interested in it over the standard, but can't find toooo much info.
Quote by one vision
Pretty versatile, but I doubt it'll do metal..

Tony Iommi plays SGs....

I play metal on mine too with no problems.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I spent about an hour in Guitar Center today playing the SG Standard through some kind of used Marshall. The thing sounded great, clean and distorted, played amazingly, and looked beautiful. I was able to get Metallica, Hendrix, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, and AC/DC tones too, although a large part of that was thanks to the amp. I'd gladly answer any questions, although an actual SG owner would probably do that better.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

SG standards are much better than the specials.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
For 1000, you'd need to go with the Special, but I strongly reccomend spending another 400+ dollars for a Standard.
i would like to know how much of a difference the EMG pickups make, and what makes them different structurally
O.o

Ibanez s470DXQM
Roland 120 jazz/chorus

It completely changed the sound. I only reccomend them for metal. If thats what you wanna do, those are the freakin pickups bar none. The thing is, they lack versatility. The guitar also has to be rewired a bit to have them installed.

I used the 81/85 combination, and they're good for alot. Their strong point is high gain.

If you want versatility, go with Duncans or DiMarzio.
Gibson.
If I were to buy a Gibby SG today, I'd get the SG Classic. They list for $999 (though the guys at GC can be talked down at least $100), and those P90's have so much attitude! I love their snarl and vintage tone!
right now i have dimarzios and grover tuners and i absolutely love em
so this sg should give the right tuners, and more metal suited pickups
seems like a good choice to me
O.o

Ibanez s470DXQM
Roland 120 jazz/chorus

the P-90's are alright, but a single coil is... a single coil. last time I tried playing an Sg with p-90's though a high gain marshall, too noisy for my taste.