Here's a question that's been on my mind for a while, and I've never heard anyone seriously mention it:

How do you know your guiitar is made from wood from a sustainable source?

I mean, guitar building probably uses more exotic woods, particularly mahogany (at least, as a percentage) than say furniture manufacture, which is almost entirely pine and oak and probably comes from europe anyway.

Are there any laws in place in this country that prevent importing of goods that are made from non sustainable recources?

If you ask why i care, Its not that i'm really worried about the effect it has global warming, I just think the rainforest is a beautiful thing and is worth preserving, I did a quick search before I posted, but if there's any threads on this already please post a link to them.
martin has stock piles of wood in their factory that is worth more then your life because it is all extinct now.
to a point I'm sure. but nowhere near the impact of the lumber industry.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yes but with that wood from the rainforest we can build loads of guitars, so that we can all write songs about preserving nature etc.

It all balances out...

> >
< <

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

Oh. I thought you said "Is guitar building affecting defenestration?" That is a different conversation entirely.
most guitars are made of alder, ashe, basswood, maple and mahogony. None of those are really exotic except for the special mahogony Gibson makes Les Pauls out of, which they protect and try to regrow it.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by MiG_853
I'm pretty sure it can only be affecting... not effecting.

+1 Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

But as to your actual topic here: meh I dunno. I am a complete c*nt when it comes to any kind of global awareness.
Just don't smash your guitar. Kurt Cobain was a forest killer.

THAT MONSTER!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Well, Wouldn't factories buy thier wood from the lumber industry anyway?
Yes, but not to the same extent as other industries.

A LOT of furniture is mahogany and rosewood.

Some guitar manufacturers, like Martin, are trying out alternative materials, or unusal woods.
I've had all this deforestation stuff drilled into my head in 3rd grade. I always feel guilty when I consider what woods guitars are made of.

PRS waste so much wood. I saw a video of their factory tour. If some body-sized chunks are anything short of perfect is sawn in half and used as firewood (I'm sure most other manufacturers would KILL to get wood that's less-than-perfect for PRS)
Quote by Morgy
Yes but with that wood from the rainforest we can build loads of guitars, so that we can all write songs about preserving nature etc.

It all balances out...

> >
< <

I think alot of nature freaks use bamboo guitars and stuff...

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
how many guitars do you think are made?
do you think they kill a whole forest for one guitar?
none of these woods are really exotic.
and to the post above, no they do not store that much wood.
it dries out, and it can warp and crack.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Doobergn
Well global warming is a crock of **** so don't worry about it.

It's not the global warming i'm worried about, If they measure your CO2 output in tons/year, and a guitar weighs about a couple of kg, then the amount of carbon it contains is not really contributing all that much. It's the Forests themselves that I'm worried about, i mean, they haven't even documented half the species that live in them, think how much cool stuff there must be in there...
Quote by exiledsoul
and to the post above, no they do not store that much wood.
it dries out, and it can warp and crack.

They have to be dry before being made into a guitar
Quote by Doobergn
Well global warming is a crock of **** so don't worry about it.

Global warming or not, I still think we shouldn't **** up our planet.
Quote by sashki
They have to be dry before being made into a guitar

obviously, but if you leave it in a store room the wood can crack and warp.
maybe you should read my whole post before commenting on it.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Last edited by exiledsoul at Mar 27, 2008,
Did you know that I was thinking like exactly the same thing half an hour ago :O
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by exiledsoul

Well, rakes of guitars, there's shops everywhere full of them, all brand new, and they must come from somewhere.

No, but the sheer volume of guitars must be massive, Granted, probably not as big as others eg construction.

I thought mahogany only grew in the tropics?

No one's really answered the question, is there any way of ensuring your guitar comes from a sustainable source?
Who Cares?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Guitar companies buy off the lumber industry.
Sent from my iPad.