I was just wondering what rules (if any) you set yourself when you're making music. Like when you're writing or recording.

Personally I try and avoid effects pedals, but I'm not dogmatic. When I write I normally follow the pattern of chords, then words and add to that. When recording I almost always record over a microphone (no a direct input) but sometimes have to DI (for keyboards and other things like that).

So what rules are self-imposed? And what rules do you have to stick to through necessity?
just play and have fun.

i hope ur not limiting ur creativity because of 'rules'
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
I break rules so I really don't tend to set any.
As I always say: "Rawr"
Quote by bigtimmy
just play and have fun.

i hope ur not limiting ur creativity because of 'rules'

I worry about that sometimes. But I also think that by limiting yourself you see different aspects and take a different approach, thus increasing creativity.
None really, rules restrict creativity.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
everything is done in one sitting, the writing recording editing. then i shove it on myspace and never listen to it again.
now extra flamey
I try to stick with what I can do. I'm not going to attempt crazy stuff when recording because it will sound like crap. I also do it when people are not around, because people in my house are stupid and I don't want background noise. I don't like to waste time when recording.

When I'm writing, I generally use tabs if it's just guitar, otherwise I have to use sheet music. I feel like I'm cheating sometimes using guitar tabs to write something like a trumpet solo or something.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
i make myself practise for at least an hour a day, usually i dont need to force myself and i'll do it because i want to, but sometimes i really cba
I have this thing with Overdubs, wich is kinda funny seeing I'm a huge Muse fan.

I just my music to sound like to would live.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Whenever I step up a notch in speed or technique profficiency I always feel the need to totally wank with it for about an hour at stupid volumes.
I have a hard time staying focused anyway, extra rules would make me go crazy.

Quote by Retro Rocker
Whenever I step up a notch in speed or technique profficiency I always feel the need to totally wank with it for about an hour at stupid volumes.

Same with me.
Quote by Retro Rocker

+1

Also, four power chord turnarounds are HIGHLY ILLEGAL.
I don't write anything down and don't spend more than an hour getting an instrument right, also I'm going to start weening myself off using excessive reverb
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I set sum rulez. There were:

i won't rape little girls anymore

i won't rape big girls anymore

i won't rape wombats

i won't rape guitars

i won't rape silly TS

edit: if sum1 sigs this, i'll beat their ass!

c'mon please sig me : (
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Last edited by HeartRaz0r at Mar 27, 2008,
I try not to use too much distortion. I only use it as a tool to achieve a certain tone, no more, no less.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Not really, well there's this kind of rule I have. Since I don't want people to die because they're being literally blown away by my totally awesome music I try not to write more than 2 masterpieces a week. One of my friends heard 2 of my songs in a row and he's now in the hospital:S