in a garage band setting, where should i place my vox ad30vt to get the loudest, best sound out of it? if i place it on the ground my rhythm parts arne't covered by the drums, but when i solo you can't hear it really well. should i put it in a chair? or facing in a certain direction?
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
I would say to put it in a chair and slant it up a little bit. If you can't use a chair, just prop it up against a wall or something.
But some other people might have a little better advice
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
I'd put it at about a 60 degree angle from you, personally. Anything much closer and your tone's going to sound a bit harsh, much farther and you won't be able to hear yourself. Still, you must have a hella loud drummer... When I practiced with my old Cube 15 I only had the volume around 7, and it came through another guitar, bass, and drums fine.

You're not scooping your mids, are you?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd put it at about a 60 degree angle from you, personally. Anything much closer and your tone's going to sound a bit harsh, much farther and you won't be able to hear yourself. Still, you must have a hella loud drummer... When I practiced with my old Cube 15 I only had the volume around 7, and it came through another guitar, bass, and drums fine.

You're not scooping your mids, are you?

how would scooping you mids effect volume? ( no one ever taught me )
Quote by woodsballplayer
how would scooping you mids effect volume? ( no one ever taught me )

The majority of the frequencies that come out of your guitar are mids. By scooping your mids, you're eliminating a lot of your "punch". It might not seem quieter at first, but in a practice situation it's quite noticeable.

I've noticed that higher- end tube amps are more responsive to EQ, as well. On my Mesa's clean channel, I can literally shake the room with the mids at a regular level, then scoop them and hear an incredible difference in volume.
What's your current eq settings?
When I had my spider II 30 watter, although my tone wasn't great, I could get over a drummer fairly well with proper EQing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well, i just came back from practice, and i tilted my amp back, and that helped a lot. i made the other kid turn his amp down, and i cranked the treble and mids on the boutique overdrive setting, and got a very nice plexi lead tone.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Good job.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo