Anyone see this in the news? They're being harder on the internet and video game laws/parental awareness. I would appreciate it if someone could quote a news website, 'cos my internets ain't being very sociable.

Anyway, I just find it funny that a 16 year old cannot legally buy a violent video game but can happily go to Iraq to shoot at real people.

Thoughts?

Edit: Apparently in the UK they can't be sent into a war zone at 16, but can join the army.
The point is, there ain't much difference between shooting at a target and shooting at a simulated person. If anything there is much less room for incident in the latter.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by TheBurningFish
ally buy a violent video game but can happily go to Iraq to shoot at real people.

Thoughts?

totally agree
now extra flamey
Quote by TheBurningFish
Anyone see this in the news? They're being harder on the internet and video game laws/parental awareness. I would appreciate it if someone could quote a news website, 'cos my internets ain't being very sociable.

Anyway, I just find it funny that a 16 year old cannot legally buy a violent video game but can happily go to Iraq to shoot at real people.

Thoughts?

Um no they can't, they can join the army at 16 but are not allowed to be sent to a warzone until they are at least 18.

And on the topic, it's not going to make ****-all difference. Games like GTA already carry the film certificates and it makes no difference.
Quote by LinkManDX
...you can't be in the US Army until you're 18, I believe.

Also, no news sites seem to be showing this (Checked Google News, CNN, and BBC).

Talking about british laws here, were it is OK to go at 16.

Quote by LinkManDX

Also, no news sites seem to be showing this (Checked Google News, CNN, and BBC).

Yep, 18.

But the TS didn't mention the Armed Forces.

You can go to Iraq and shoot at real people any time you want, just don't count on living through it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by LinkManDX

welcome to the UK

on topic: well yeah there is a few nut-case's out there that will go around killing people after seeing it a game, i think its quite stupid really, how serious people can take games
Quote by Slinov
I think that if people are stupid enough to go around shooting people because "they saw it in a video game", they're messed up BEFORE they buy the game

Fact.

Video games on their own cannot provoke you to kill.

Another fact is: none of the people who complain about the danger of games have ever played one.
Quote by sofubar
Um no they can't, they can join the army at 16 but are not allowed to be sent to a warzone until they are at least 18.

And on the topic, it's not going to make ****-all difference. Games like GTA already carry the film certificates and it makes no difference.

Ah I see.

Still, you can legally be prepped to shoot Iraqis...

Quote by 666hamish666
welcome to the UK

on topic: well yeah there is a few nut-case's out there that will go around killing people after seeing it a game, i think its quite stupid really, how serious people can take games

Yeah, just noticed he's from Scotland.

I did check the BBC for info though, it wasn't on the front page (Or at least I suck at scanning headlines).
Quote by LinkManDX
Yeah, just noticed he's from Scotland.

I did check the BBC for info though, it wasn't on the front page (Or at least I suck at scanning headlines).

I find that strange. It was all over the news.

It was rather irritating. It interrupted my ritualistic Shreddies while I laughed at people who blame video games for murder.

'Cos, let's face it. Bad things happened in the world before the internet and video games. What if I decide Ludo is a violent game? When someone else stands on your guy when you're that close to getting to the end, and sends you to the start.

Fact: The above is EXACTLY how WWI started.

Don't believe what the Ludo company tells you. They're hiding the truth behind that Franz Ferdinand BS.

George Carlin has a bit where he says something to the effect of "Now they're trying to get rid of the real looking toy guns... but they're keeping the real ****ing guns!!"(I know he's not talking about videogames; but still; same kinda thing.).

It always upsets me when I hear a videogame/movie/song getting blamed for some troubled teenager shooting someone/doing bad things. A few years ago some kids blamed GTA for "making" them steal a car and shoot a shotgun at random people on the highway. Idiots.

Troubled people will always find a way to break our hearts and lash out when they're pushed to their limits. With or without things like videogames.

I think the reality is the opposite. I'm no homicidal maniac; but playing videogames eases a lot of tension and stress.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Quote by 666hamish666
welcome to the UK

In the UK, you can join at 16, but you're not supposed to be sent into combat until 18.
But since recruitment is so crap, we're having to send the Weekend Warriors too.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
wow wtf where did you hear 16 year olds can go to war?

At least 2 seconds before I was corrected by the first person.

Apparently it's stupid to assume that when someone is in the army they can go to war... Thank you for your wisdom UG

To all the people who weren't assholes about the subject, thank you for your information.

Quote by MightyAl
In the UK, you can join at 16, but you're not supposed to be sent into combat until 18.
But since recruitment is so crap, we're having to send the Weekend Warriors too.

No.
Quote by sofubar

No.

I'm pretty sure that by weekend warriors, he means reservists who are not exclusively over 16, so probably. I know Canada's sending reservists to Afghanistan.

On the topic of video games, just because they're not the sole factor to cause someone to go on a shooting spree, it doesn't mean they don't have a negative influence. Honestly though, I think this kinda stuff does more economical harm than social good.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by sSyLc
I'm pretty sure that by weekend warriors, he means reservists who are not exclusively over 16.

Weekend Warriors = the Territorial Army. Basically fat buggers who play soldiers a couple of weekends a year get sent into war zones because we don't have enough regular troops.
Just because Maiden wrote a song about football hooligans called Weekend Warriors doesn't make it the single definition of the phrase.
****, i turned 17 two months ago, so i don't have to worry about that crap anymore. Needless to say buying a bad video game at a young age is incredibly easy.

I remember one time me and my friend walked to gamestop because he wanted to get an M rated game. We were 'underaged' so he wouldn't sell it to us, so we asked someone in the store if he could buy it for us. Needless to say we got the game 2 minutes l8r. 99% of parents dont really care, its just a chore to have to go inside to get the game
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
I was fairly sure we had to be at least 17 to join the army. That way, people can't drop out of school and join?

I saw a mention of that games law in The Times. I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous.
I fail to see how this is any different from the system we had before.

Anyway, brb, going to play san andreas, then reenacting it in the local shopping centre.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
How is that a change? No amount of cracking down helps anyway, the RIAA have more than proved that.

Anyway, video games cause violence? There were 2 world wars before video games existed, there have been none since. I think we all know what this means.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I dont really care. Im 18 I can do whatever the hell I want.

Sucks to be you guys who aren't.

PSN ID: ArranP
My Parents dont care if i Play M Rated games, so it doesnt really effect me to much. they are usually with me if im in a store anyways, so Unless im out with friends (Who the hell goes to wal-mart when they are hanging out with people?) Im All set.
On the news the only real-life referance they gave for the new laws was that kid who was murdered by his mate 4 years ago in ways that were used in Manhunt. A game that the killer didn't actually own, and the victim did. Funny, eh?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Even though I still sometimes get ID'd, I find it funny, because I'm 17 and can legally buy M rated games.
My mum or dad had to come in the Gamestop with me so I could buy all the games I wanted (Bioshock, Army of Two, ect.) They don't care. After all it's only a game, it's not like it's pr0n or somthing.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

Quote by MightyAl
Weekend Warriors = the Territorial Army. Basically fat buggers who play soldiers a couple of weekends a year get sent into war zones because we don't have enough regular troops.
Just because Maiden wrote a song about football hooligans called Weekend Warriors doesn't make it the single definition of the phrase.

if maiden writes it. it is law. sorry dude but you're wrong.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by emagdnimasisiht
My mum or dad had to come in the Gamestop with me so I could buy all the games I wanted (Bioshock, Army of Two, ect.) They don't care. After all it's only a game, it's not like it's pr0n or somthing.

I hated that when I was younger, like asking my parents to go buy me RE4 or Ninja Gaiden. Regardless, they never card people at my local Gamestop.
666 BRO
Quote by an epic mistake
if maiden writes it. it is law. sorry dude but you're wrong.

So what the Pit really needs is for maiden to write a song called "It's Not Rape If You Yell 'Surprise'".
Quote by MightyAl
So what the Pit really needs is for maiden to write a song called "It's Not Rape If You Yell 'Surprise'".

No, that's what 4chan needs. There is a subtle difference in that the Pit care less about these things than 4chan.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT