I'd suggest an EHX Big Muff Pi, you can get them for around £40.And yes, it's worth it, I've never had any problems with mine and I love using it.
First, that's an awesome song.

Second, a lot of that guys sound is coming from the graphite neck on his bass (It's a Modulus VJ)

Third, as far as the pedal in concerned, a lot of people recommend the Fulltone Bass Driver. It depends on the sound you're going for really. Another good pedal to look at is the Sansamp Bass Drive.

Quote by Geormajesty
I'd suggest an EHX Big Muff Pi, you can get them for around £40.And yes, it's worth it, I've never had any problems with mine and I love using it.

Only use this pedal if you don't mind losing some of your low end. It's not a bass pedal, it's a guitar pedal. You're better off buying a bass specific pedal.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
the big muff is awesome i also suggest it
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
Quote by Geormajesty

The big muff sounds like poo to me with bass and won't sound ANYTHING like in that video.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
i just listened to the big muff on musicians friend and i didnt really like it...i dont like the sound of losing my low end either.....

the sansamp is too expensive for me, and i couldnt find the fulltone on musicians friend...

I definitely want something under $100
Quote by hellraiser1133
i just listened to the big muff on musicians friend and i didnt really like it...i dont like the sound of losing my low end either.....

the sansamp is too expensive for me, and i couldnt find the fulltone on musicians friend...

I definitely want something under $100

Well a Preamp is going like the sansamp or a mxr is going to get you the best sound.

If you really want something cheaper try the boss bass overdrive pedal.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
On a budget, give the Ibanez PD-7 Phat-Hed a shot. It's very versatile, and not very expensive.
Nope, no sig here.
Dispatch is a tight band.
Uhhh as for distortion, its up to you if what your playing demands it or you think it'll sound better.
the phat hed seems a bit "overdone" in the samples ive heard...i like the price tag, but im afraid its not versatile enough....can it get the same tones as the boss overdrive?
It's a bit picky, but you can get good tones once you learn to set it up right. It also can switch between o/d and distortion.

I'm assuming you mean the musiciansfriend.com recordings? Both of those had the drive knob all the way up, or close to it, and it sounded like the attack switch was on. The two don't go well together, or at least not like that. You can definitely get a much mellower sound from it, and even use it as boost only.

I'm using it in my profile song, though that's a horrible recording so you might not be able to hear it. I switch it on when the distorted guitar comes in.

edit: I was using it at 2:25 as well
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 28, 2008,
jeez, tough call....can u get the tone of that video i posted up there with the phat hed? i dont want something that almost turns it into the distortion for electric, i jsut want a touch of it, like in that video, a little growl
The Boss ODB isn't very versatile at all. You get one overdriven sound, and you can slightly control the EQ and intensity of it, but for the most part, you get that same one fuzzy sound.

The PD7 has three different settings (clean, OD, distortion), a 2-band EQ, and 2 attack settings for each one. Attack settings add a boost of trebbly-distortion, so they can create a very slight overdrive on clean, or be used to add onto the other two settings. IMO, the distortion setting is a bit messy and I don't use it often, I keep my pedal on the slightly over-driven clean channel most of the time.
I am going to revert from the budget options currently circulating and bring up the Fulltone Bassdrive and the Snasamp Bass DI again. While neither can get massively over the top distortion (which you don't seem to be searching for), they are the best on the market for overdriven tones. I have a fulltone, I regret nothing, and I bought it in from the states ina gamble as I was unable to try it, but didn't like the Sansamp.

It may cost a fair bit more (possible understatement) but you will never want to upgrade it, and you will noever be searching for a good sound out of the pedal. Honeslty, I have yet to found an unusable sound from the Fulltone, and forcing those I didn't like out of it, and those were better than anything I got out of my old BOSS ODB-3.

If you can get hold of the money, seriously consider a really nice distortion. It's a fairly common bass effect, so will see a lot of use. Best make sure you enjoy what sopunds you get in those times IMO .
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
gm_jack, how much in general are fulltones??

and does anyone have any idea wat a ProCo Rat sounds like with bass??

is the low end suck as bad as the muff for example??

to TS, Boss ODB-3 personally I like, but tis all opinion, go and try
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I use an Electro Harmonix Double Muff, pretty good price and it can make your ears bled if you want it to
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
Quote by skippy_moogoose
gm_jack, how much in general are fulltones??

and does anyone have any idea wat a ProCo Rat sounds like with bass??

is the low end suck as bad as the muff for example??

to TS, Boss ODB-3 personally I like, but tis all opinion, go and try

Well, I ordered mine in from the states for just over £100, as the US price is $180, and the UK price is £150. Well worth it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ProCo actually makes a bass specific distortion now. The Rat sounds ****in' sick as well with a bass. Tool's Justin Chancellor uses the Rat for distortion.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Last edited by ChaoticPeace at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by ChaoticPeace
ProCo actually makes a bass specific distortion now. The Rat sounds ****in' sick as well with a bass. Tool's Justin Chancellor uses the Rat for distortion.

Keep in mind that JC also splits his signal into "dirty" and "clean" channels.