hey guys,

I started playing in Drop C after a long time so naturally I decided to equip my guitar with thicker strings. I can do really good sounding pinch harmonics on 9s but I'm finding them hard on these thicker strings (52-10). The thing is that usually just play pinches without really thinking about it, it comes kind of naturally so I didn't think too much about the technique I was using so does anyone know any ways or have any tips to help me hit better pinches on these thicker strings?

Thanks alot
You consider 10's in drop C a thick gauge?

Anyway, it'll take a while to get used to the size of the strings. Just keep practicing, like you did when you first started to learn pinches.
Strange, I find it much easier on the lower strings.

What I do is I dig into the string so that when it comes out from under the pick and bounces up, it hits the side of my thumb.

And then I shake it like a polaroid picture.

That's what I learnt from the mighty Zakk.
If you're playing in drop C you might want to consider 11s, just my two pence

How hard you attack the strings may differ in order to get a pinch harmonic, but I'm not sure on that one. I personally found moving up in string gauge didn't make much of a difference with that, but as has been said just practice with them, you'll nail it soon enough.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by sashki
Strange, I find it much easier on the lower strings.

I do too.

I cant do harmonics on the thinnest string though, and I use 52-10.
you could also be bold and go for 12 gauge strings

that, to me, plays just as well in drop c as 10s do in standard, that's just me though

and yeah, just keep practicing, it should be easier on the lower strings since the thicker gauges just kinda catch your thumb better than the thinner strings

and also, i've noticed, the thicker the string, the better the tone, it sounds fuller than a tinny pack of 9s or a c tuned pack of 10s imo
i use ernie ball not even slinky (.012, .016, .024, .032, .044, .056)
and they're great for drop tuning and harmonics.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
I can barely pinch 9's......I pinch much better in Drop C using 11's...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's all in what you're used to, it will eventually come if you keep trying to do pinch harmonic.

To the guy that says thicker strings have better tone, they do not have better tone, that's all opinoin, but they do sound more bassier and deeper / warmer. I don't like thicker strings, I've tried it and it just doesn't fit my taste.
Quote by sektor47
It's all in what you're used to, it will eventually come if you keep trying to do pinch harmonic.

To the guy that says thicker strings have better tone, they do not have better tone, that's all opinoin, but they do sound more bassier and deeper / warmer. I don't like thicker strings, I've tried it and it just doesn't fit my taste.

Yea, most people prefer warm tones instead of bright tones so it's common to hear that thicker is better...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by sektor47

yeah, thats what the "imo" was there for, haha

i prefer smoother tone, more like an eric johnson smooth tone, but with more heart attacks