I have been looking to buy a new guitar. I wanted to have a King V shape like the KV2 but i dont want a floyd rose. I was looking to get a LTD-500 but i didnt really like the feel and i dont want EMG-81 set and i dont want to buy a new guitar just to replace the pick-ups. So ive been looking to buy a Ran Custom. Here is what i have

King V Shape
Neck-thru Alder Body
Black Finish
3P maple neck (whats the difference between 3 piece and 5 piece?)
H - H Configuration ( I want two passive pickups, for humbucker i want to have something that sounds pretty heavy but still has the passive tone. I heard the blackouts are good, any other suggestions? For the neck pickups i want a good smooth sound. JB Jazz Maybe?)
Ebony Finger board with Satin Neck
Schaller M6 Tuning Machines
Schaller neck-thru tune-o-matic style

Id like to know what are my best options for the pickups, as well if im choosing the right wood or what is better. I want to have good sustain but i dont want a heavy guitar eg. LPs
Go for the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo. An SH-4 in the bridge and a SH-2n Jazz in the neck.
the difference in a 3 piece and a 5 piece is more color variations with the wood, stronger neck that will be less likely to warp/bend/break, and a slight minuscule loss of sustain, but you wont even be able to hear it. 5 piece > 3 piece.

also if you want more sustain, dont get a neck-through. good way to lose sustain, and your guitars neck with inevitably eventually warp and become useless. bolt on is the way to go for sustain.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
the difference in a 3 piece and a 5 piece is more color variations with the wood, stronger neck that will be less likely to warp/bend/break, and a slight minuscule loss of sustain, but you wont even be able to hear it. 5 piece > 3 piece.

also if you want more sustain, dont get a neck-through. good way to lose sustain, and your guitars neck with inevitably eventually warp and become useless. bolt on is the way to go for sustain.

Actually neckthrough guitars sustain WAY WAY more than the best bolted on neck.
Once you go neckthrough there is no reason to go back to the crap bolt ons. Unless in the case of a strat where you are force to go bolt on if the strat tone is what one is after. I can't think of a single advantage of a bolt on, over a neckthrough. And if you know how to use a guitar, it will not inevitably warp or bend or break.
Quote by nyandres
Actually neckthrough guitars sustain WAY WAY more than the best bolted on neck.
Once you go neckthrough there is no reason to go back to the crap bolt ons. Unless in the case of a strat where you are force to go bolt on if the strat tone is what one is after. I can't think of a single advantage of a bolt on, over a neckthrough. And if you know how to use a guitar, it will not inevitably warp or bend or break.

That's a complete myth.

Having said that, the other guy was wrong too

A good bolt-on neck joint will have near-identical sustaining properties to a set neck, some say it can be better as a wood-to-wood joint trasnits vibrations than wood-to-glue-to-wood. On an oscilloscope a neck-through will likely have more sustain than the other two, in practical terms though it's nothing worth worrying about. I think this myth stems from the fact that guitars with a trem tend to have bolt on-necks...it's the huge chunk of wood missing from the body coupled with the less stable bridge that's eating sustain, NOT the neck joint.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 4, 2008,
Well my set neck guitars, and necktrhough ones are sustaining much more than my bolt on. Much more.
Well, back to the issue at hand...

JB/Jazz would be good, or possibly JB/'59. If you don't mind DiMarzios, a set of Breeds will give you a nice, thick tone and round off some of the brightness of the alder. Or, if you want something hotter/crunchier, try a Super Distortion in the bridge.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'd spend some time looking at Harmony Central's pickup reviews. Also, contact CorduroyEW on this forum about custom handwound pickups. You don't want to go with generic garbage that everyone and his brother has like the JB/Jazz or JB/59 set. At least that's my opinion.
Hi, I'm Peter
get the Kerry King EMG Active Humbucker Set
it includes:
EMG 81 Active Humbucker
EMG 85 Active Humbucker
All the Wires and Pots and **** I Think
and the only reason I suggest the Kerry King Set instead of the Zakk Wylde set (which is pretty much the same exact thing (same two Active EMG Humbuckers, same wires & pots and ****....and it's a little bit cheaper) but the Kerry King set comes with a PA-2 20db Gain Booster on eBay, the Kerry King EMG set Costs like $230 "Buy it Now" (Free Shipping)

...If you have room for 3 Humbuckers (which most of the time Jackson King V Bodies are routed for 2 Humbuckers, and Sometimes for a Floyd Rose Bridge...but if you have room for 3, you could do a Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker, which isn't an Active pickup, but it's got fantastic tone...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by nyandres
Well my set neck guitars, and necktrhough ones are sustaining much more than my bolt on. Much more.

There are more variables to look at though. Pickups, wood type, construction, length, electronics, Blah, Blah....

The neck type is only one variable in a list that make good or poor sustain.
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
If I was getting a custom made guitar I'd want the same for my pickups, so Bareknuckles in Europe or something like Stephens Design, Wolfton or Mojave in the US.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com