so...how are the EMG zakk wylde pickups? cause the ZW set is the cheapest set and i like zakks tone. (yes, i know, the amp has a big effect too) and also, on the EMG website it says it comes with new volume pots. why would i need new ones? also...my guitar is my custom epiphone les paul 100 w/ the black, white, and purple EVH paint (its not done yet)
i have the ZW set and it's really great. I'd buy them for any type of music, but they're active so you should take into consideration that batteries die at the most inconvenient times. Definitely a great buy that adds lots of value to the guitar as well, and you can always take them out and put them into a better guitar if you ever buy a new one. Definitely a solid investment, and they SCREAM!!!!
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
The Zakk set is the 81/85 I like the 81 but rarely using the 85. the 81 is real good for metal. They aren't the best clean pickup. If you don't play much clean but play alot of metal they are a good set. I use them in my Les Paul and they work good. The new pots will replace your ****ty stock ones.
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
LP-100s probably dont have the best stock electronics, so those new Volume pots will be good. Be sure to stock up on 9v batteries. Post pics of your guitar when you get the paint finished, it should be very....unique.
actives require different pots, thats why u get pots with it, and the stock pots probably arent great anyway... the pickups themselves, there great for distortion, and can do clean, but not well
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
active pickups use 25k pots while non actives use 250k/500k
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Not much choice in replacing the electronics. The pots are different and caps. And will need the stereo output jack. But if you dont have a good amp wont make much of a difference in tone. And dont do well but for high gain stuff.
If I recall correctly, you'd be better off just buying an 81 and an 85 and not the ZW set. Actually, the only thing the set differs from the pickups bought separately is the price and the box.

EDIT: Forget that, it's the same price. But the ZW set comes with a poster and a pick x)

I understand that you like Zakk's tone, but really... using a LP100 won't get you anywhere near it. Even with the EMGs. So, if you like the EMG's tone (which is different than liking Zakk's tone), go for it. Personally, I'd advise a 60 in the neck for mor versatility as far as cleans go, while still retaining the ability to do some nice leads. But, it's your call.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by jmag
I understand that you like Zakk's tone, but really... using a LP100 won't get you anywhere near it. Even with the EMGs. So, if you like the EMG's tone (which is different than liking Zakk's tone), go for it. Personally, I'd advise a 60 in the neck for mor versatility as far as cleans go, while still retaining the ability to do some nice leads. But, it's your call.

EMG supposedly kill all the tone of a guitar. So it may just bring him close if he has a decent am.

@Syn - If you have a solid state amp, don't waste your time. Active pickups work well with tube amps, but aren't good at all with solid states.
ok...now...wouldn't i need to make room for the battery? cause i really dont want to mess around with that if i have to. so...what are some nice pickups (not active) that could be used to play stuff like a7x, pantera, metallica, nickelback, etc. and i dont really ever use a clean tone.
seymore duncan JB
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by synguitarist7x
ok...now...wouldn't i need to make room for the battery?

no, you can put it in the control cavity with the volume and tone pots.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
that'd be a really tight fit- the layout of the electronics in the cavity of a les paul leaves almost no room for mods...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by matticus66
active pickups use 25k pots while non actives use 250k/500k

you can use any size up you want. my passive pups on my build use 1Meg pots
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
well, i went to guitar center and tried out some EMG's (on a schecter and zakk wylde les paul), and they are awesome. i got a number for a place that can install them and put the battery in. so will they work good w/ my amp? so i dont waste my $
I digress once again to the wealth of disinformation often given here. yes the 81/85 will make a difference with your ss amp, but wont sound as good as a tube will(nothing does) my emgs sound great even with my pod that obviously is ss.
as for the guy who says stock up on 9v batterys.......If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year. (cut from the emg website)

so yes stock up incase they stop making 9v batterys.
if you like heavy go buy the emgs, they re-sell fast if you dont like them, will sounds better if you ever(should) buy a better amp and IMHO sound sick.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
EMGs are great but you said you wanted the pantera sound right?

go bill lawrence L500xl for dimebag tone (at least i think its L500xl:S)

i'd go for EMGs because i love Children of Bodom, so you should see wot pickups are used by the guitarists you like and go for that