Hi

If I was to rewind some pickups, would overwinding them make them louder and is more windings of thinner wire better than less windings of thicker wire?

Thanks

Alfie
Theres alot more than just buying wire. Most pickups have 5000 or more wraps. And your first ones wont be pretty and may not work, the wire is pretty easy to break. But yes you get more output with more wraps. But there are far easier way to make your guitar louder.
I hate to say, but if you had the experiece to rewind pickups, you wouldn't need to ask this questions.

I suggest replacing the pickup.

Edit: A quick note about electromagnetic inductance (the principle underlying magnetic guitar pickup design) and pickup design.. One of the factors influencing the inductance of a circuit is the number of times the wire 'cuts' through the flux of the magnet, by running perpendicular to the flux lines. A pickup wound with more turns essentially cuts the flux more often, and has an overall inductance which is proportional to the number of turns. A wire with one turn might have an inductance of 1H, whereas a wire with two turns might have a 2H inductance. However, you need thin wire to get a BILLION turns on a pickup, which has a higher internal resistance by nature. Pickup manufacturers state the DC resistance when rating a pickup to give an idea of how many winds are on the bobbin, and in turn suggest what kind of output you should get.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Mar 27, 2008,
If you want pickups rewired, I suggest looking at curis novak's work, not only will they be louder but the tone will be a million times better!

http://curtisnovak.com/
"The can is a good place to keep the Funk...it stays Funky"
Its doesnt surprise me that people would try to put me off trying something like this but think of it this way...

If I was attempting something dangerouse I would be a bit daft to attempt it with little or no knowledge of how to do it.

but

I am attempting to re-wire a pickup and if it doesnt work I will try it again and again until it does works. How would the first pickup have ever been made if someone didnt try it because they wasnt entirely sure if it would work?

Thanks

Alfie
Quote by RockinAlfie
I am attempting to re-wire a pickup and if it doesnt work I will try it again and again until it does works. How would the first pickup have ever been made if someone didnt try it because they wasnt entirely sure if it would work?

That's teh spirit, man!
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Quote by RockinAlfie
Hi

If I was to rewind some pickups, would overwinding them make them louder and is more windings of thinner wire better than less windings of thicker wire?

Thanks

Alfie

I don't even know where to start with this. I'll try and keep it simple.

More windings of smaller wire will usually get you more output but because of the increased resistance in the thinner wire it'll filter off low end and your very highest frequncies leaving you with a twangy pickup that has lots of upper midrange.

Thicker wire gives you a more open tone with more treble and bass with less midrange. Midrange is what are ears hear the best so boosting midrange a little will often times make the pickup seem much louder than it really is. It also works the other direction. Taking out a little midrange will make the pickup seem like it's much lower output.

another way to controll output is to change the magnets. Stranger magnets give you tighter and bigger bass and stronger high end as well more output overall.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Make your pickups louder? You're approaching this the wrong way. You want more volume - you go to your amp.

I will explain what I am doing...

My strat has 2 noiseless pickups and 1 vintage original (I think thats what it is) and the noiseless put out 9.2 and 9.5 resistance but the other one puts out 5.6. The simple solution is to replace the vintage original but I thought I may be able to do something else with it. It sounds a bit muffled compared to the noiseless but has a cracking overdriven sound so I thought I may be able to get the best of both worlds by re-winding it.

Thanks for the info though, I have now got a great idea of where to start.

Alfie
Quote by RockinAlfie
I will explain what I am doing...

My strat has 2 noiseless pickups and 1 vintage original (I think thats what it is) and the noiseless put out 9.2 and 9.5 resistance but the other one puts out 5.6. The simple solution is to replace the vintage original but I thought I may be able to do something else with it. It sounds a bit muffled compared to the noiseless but has a cracking overdriven sound so I thought I may be able to get the best of both worlds by re-winding it.

Thanks for the info though, I have now got a great idea of where to start.

Alfie

Resistance isn't 'put out' by pickups, that's the inductance. Resistance is like a drag force of the electrical components and wire.

The resistance hints at the length and thickness of wire, which in turn gives an idea of the inductance.. that's why most people rate pickups by DC resistance.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Resistance isn't 'put out' by pickups, that's the inductance. Resistance is like a drag force of the electrical components and wire.

You are right about the resistance but inductance is different. Inductance is a second electrical flow that runs the opposite direction of the main electrical flow. Changing inductance will change which frequencies stand out in a pickup. Typically more inductance means darker tone

The resistance hints at the length and thickness of wire, which in turn gives an idea of the inductance.. that's why most people rate pickups by DC resistance.

That is absolutly correct and that is also why I don't like to include DC resistance. It can be very misleading.
Not taking any online orders.
Hi

Its a bit strange but I rewound my noiseless pickup and got some strange results..

The DC resistance on the others is about 9.2 but after rewinding the other one I got 0.3???

i didnt think there was anyway in the world this was going to work but it did. I have to say its not nearly as loud or bright as the others but its still quite a reasonable first attempt. I am using thicker wire but I didnt think it would effect it that much.

I think I will have another attempt and hold the wire a bit tighter to see if I squeeze a bit more wire on this time. Maybe it will sound a bit closer to the other pickups next time.

Alfie