I'm trying to think of new ways to play the guitar. Like a violin bow or something like that, is what I mean? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
A violin bow is for show. hey that rhymes. bows are expensive and it does not sound good. E-bow? different picking techniques?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I didn't like the E-bow when I played with it. Is there anything else? I know that guitar playing is limited, but surely it's not that limited, that there is nothing else other than an E-bow.
Quote by archenemy_no.1
I didn't like the E-bow when I played with it. Is there anything else? I know that guitar playing is limited, but surely it's not that limited, that there is nothing else other than an E-bow.
limited is the last word I would associate with the guitar.

In your right hand alone you have the options ranging from flamenco to rockabilly
There's tremolo techniques and a myriad of picking techniques. They're synth there's I'm not even gonna go on. I think you need to experiment a little more.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
limited is the last word I would associate with the guitar.

In your right hand alone you have the options ranging from flamenco to rockabilly
There's tremolo techniques and a myriad of picking techniques. They're synth there's I'm not even gonna go on. I think you need to experiment a little more.

Are their any lessons for the stuff you listed, on the net or something? I've played guitar for awhile but I want to learn more.

Edit: Some of those I haven't even heard of!
Last edited by archenemy_no.1 at Mar 27, 2008,
wouldn't it be hard to play with a violin bow considering are the strings sit even?
song stuck in my head today

Take a coin, like a quarter or a dime, find a harmonic location on one of the strings, and scratch it there back and forth quickly. it essentially works like a violin's bow, but it doesn't **** up an expensive piece of equipment, and it isn't as bulky. Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead does it in one of the songs on In Rainbows, i think House of Cards. check youtube.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by lbc_sublime
wouldn't it be hard to play with a violin bow considering are the strings sit even?

Look at my profile.
Quote by seedmole
Take a coin, like a quarter or a dime, find a harmonic location on one of the strings, and scratch it there back and forth quickly. it essentially works like a violin's bow, but it doesn't **** up an expensive piece of equipment, and it isn't as bulky. Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead does it in one of the songs on In Rainbows, i think House of Cards. check youtube.

Sounds cool, I'm going to have to try that.
Quote by archenemy_no.1
Look at my profile.

thats realy cool but how do you play different strings??

or did you??? it sounded like it could have just been played on the high E

like there evn right so if i wanted to play the g string as i move the bow across wouldn't that hit another string??
song stuck in my head today

Quote by KryptNet
A violin bow is for show. hey that rhymes. bows are expensive and it does not sound good. E-bow? different picking techniques?

Sigur Rós begs to differ.
I've had fun with this little gimmick before; use a pencil or some other mallet-type object and "slap" your strings with it, fretting normally with your fret hand. You can get some very interesting sounds. Better yet, have a friend beat on your strings with two pencils while you focus on fretting. It can be pretty intense! My old drummer used to do the percussive pencils while I'd fret with both hands- quite a crowd pleaser, I might add.
I dunno, get a different guage of pick.

But seriously, maybe learn a new technique you're not familliar with, sweeping or tapping or something, if you don't already know. And always work on your improvisation and develop your own "sound". I think thats better than any showy gimmick.

If that fails, just make pac man noises.
Quote by lbc_sublime
thats realy cool but how do you play different strings??

or did you??? it sounded like it could have just been played on the high E

like there evn right so if i wanted to play the g string as i move the bow across wouldn't that hit another string??

Yeah, just the high E. Sounds cool, though.