When I swapped to DR 10s, I raised my action a bit to avoid fret buzz. Now I'm worrying that it's a bit too high. It's sitting at 4mm (5/32 of an inch) above the 12th fret. Is this ok or should I lower it? Thanks for the help

Oh, btw, it's for an Ibanez RG2EX1. I primarily play rhythm for rock and metal.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by Retro Rocker
It's your call, there's no set rule for action.

yep. that's about all there is too it.
personal preference, man. if you like it high, then keep it there. If you dont, lower it a little.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Alright, thanks! Will lowering it allow me to play faster?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Higher action = better sustain, lower action = easier playing. Generally speaking.
In the end its personal preference.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Ibanez factory generic specs are 1.5 mm high on treble side, and 2 mm high on bass side, that being said, I had to adjust my SZ520 to 2 mm high on treble and 3 mm on bass side to get the buzzing down (still some buzzing on the G string at higher frets,but I don't want it any higher for affects on speed and playability). It really boils down to personal preference, how much buzz can you live with, if any, and how fast do you need to play.

d-axenut
Last edited by axenut at Mar 27, 2008,
I am getting more fret buzz then I like too. It's Ok when I use a light pick attack, but when I use a heavy pick attach, or play power chords on the low E and A, I'm getting a lot of buzz with my action height where it is, and I don't want to go higher. Is it possible too much relief could result in buzzing? Maybe I'll give up and take it to a pro to set-up...

d-axenut
I always set mine high enough where my fingers can slide under the strings easily when I bend up. When its too low your fingers mash into the strings and get in the way.
legato leads are better with low action.

Give your self a pain and put gauge 13 and high action. Its worth it. Great tones. No joke.
Sustain for days

It's worth it IMO to get used to a little higher action, after a fews weeks of play you'll be coasting along smoothly and with better tone/sustain.
What do you consider to be a high action? Ibanez factory specs are 1.5 mm high at treble side, 2 mm high at bass side. Mine's at 2.0 mm treble side, and 3 .0 mm bass side. It already seems high to me, but I'm willing to go higher if it eliminates the buzzing. If it helps I have an banez SZ520 w/ D'Addrio XL 110 (10-46) strings. Strings are one week old.

d-axenut
This thread is four years old.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.