I have a HUGE problem. I can't really get past 110 BPM without deacreasing my accuacy a lot!

Any ideas? I anchor my pinky finger and back of my forearm (close to my elbow) to the guitar and hold my pick at a slight angle - /|
(that is about the angle I hold it at, the slash represents the pick and the straight line represents the string) I use a 1.14mm pick and I'm looking into getting lighter strings. At the moment my string gauge is .46 - .10
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Just practise mate. Practise using just your wrist to pick, it makes things easier. Don't tense up and don't use your entire arm to pick. Asides from that, it's just practise.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I am totally against anchoring, but thats just me, it limits your overall picking hand motion. Secondly try playing at 106 and absolutely master it, then attempt 114 a number of times then attempt 110, you should get results. Hopefully.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by Kurapica
Just practise mate. Practise using just your wrist to pick, it makes things easier. Don't tense up and don't use your entire arm to pick. Asides from that, it's just practise.

+1
Some might say anchoring (the pinky anyway) is slowing you down, but that's debatable. I can tell you that lighter strings won't help you though. Thicker strings might slow you down slightly, but there are crazy good players who play on heavy strings in standard tuning or only slightly lowered. Alex Skolnick from Testament comes to mind, he plays on 13s these days and he tunes to Eb. I personally can't play anything lighter than 11s, though I favor 12s or 13s.
metronome

and

practise xO who'd of thought
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by guitarist10
At the moment my string gauge is .46 - .10

It is actually .046 and .010. A gauge of .46 would be nearly a half an inch. However, if your strings are that thick, then that is your problem.
I personally don't think you should anchor any part of your picking arm to the guitar. I was taught to pick fast by moving my arm at the elbow and not to anchor or move my wrist. I think it's a good technique. But then again I'm not interested in picking fast. Picking fast is for guys with small penii :P
Breakstuff,

I can see where you're coming from but I think Steve Vai even rests his arm on the body...I think...and I know MAB anchors his Mid. Ring and Pinky.

Quote by mattgab1
It is actually .046 and .010. A gauge of .46 would be nearly a half an inch. However, if your strings are that thick, then that is your problem.

Whoops yea thats what I meant

relax your wrist, and keep practicing
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by GoDrex
I personally don't think you should anchor any part of your picking arm to the guitar. I was taught to pick fast by moving my arm at the elbow and not to anchor or move my wrist.

i think the wrist is much better at making fast, small, controlled movements. the trick is doing it so that your wrist is not tense, you have to work up your speed slowly to get to that level. it can also be difficult to recognize that you're tensing up to begin with.
Quote by guitarist10
Breakstuff,

I can see where you're coming from but I think Steve Vai even rests his arm on the body...I think...and I know MAB anchors his Mid. Ring and Pinky.

I always rest my arm on the body, I meant pinky anchoring mostly.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
nothing wrong with resting your arm, infact I find on my strat it helps reduce arm movement,,,cause it just cant move lol

and yeah dude just keep it up with the metronome, i had this problem getting past bout 105 bpm but am managing 120bpm in 16ths quite nicely atm
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Try to loosen up, i was way to tight for the first like 8 months of playing lol

Like stated above try not to anchor, im finally not doing that and im improving alot.

Practice and more pratice and it will just come to ya..
I can do 200 with ease anchoring. but i dont use much wrist movement. Its more thumb and index. My hand is mostly still. I can do over 200. I posted a video where i am doin about 200 bpm while picking this way in my acoustic with gauge 12.

My recommendation is practice picking on a heavy gauge acoustic. It will tighten your picking. Then your picking will be more controlled.
You all are talking about BPM, but what are the note durations? Triplets, sextuplets, 32nd notes, or what?
A weird technique could work for you . Michael Angelo Anchors, Petrucci does Too, and so does becker. And they anchor heavily and firmly. Paul gilbert does not anchor however, and his style is more varied, which may or may not have something to do with it
STOP PLAYING AND GO GET THE BOOK "THE PRINCIPLES OF CORRECT PRACTICE FOR GUITAR" RIGHT NOW

seriously, i had the same problem as you, as i tried to increase speed my accuracy suffered a lot. I ancored the palm of my hand on the strings/bridge. I read the section in the principles and picking, kicked my anchoring habbit and i have already seen an improvement in a day.

if you dont want to get it i can summerize what it says:
- only rest the top of your forearm near your elbow on the guitar, do not anchor any part of your right hand
- make the movements come more from the forearm, not the wrist
- start out extremely slow and work your way up
- keep your hand open and relaxed

good luck
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Mar 28, 2008,
110bpm, or 110nps?

110bmp at 4 notes per beat is pretty good if you're accurate!

Just practice, and slowly raise your metronome.

Once you can do it at 112bpm cleanly, do it at 114, etc.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
STOP PLAYING AND GO GET THE BOOK "THE PRINCIPLES OF CORRECT PRACTICE FOR GUITAR" RIGHT NOW

seriously, i had the same problem as you, as i tried to increase speed my accuracy suffered a lot. I ancored the palm of my hand on the strings/bridge. I read the section in the principles and picking, kicked my anchoring habbit and i have already seen an improvement in a day.

if you dont want to get it i can summerize what it says:
- only rest the top of your forearm near your elbo on the guitar, do not anchor any part of your right hand
- make the movements come from the elbo and arm, not the wrist
- start out extremely slow and work your way up
- keep your hand open and relaxed

good luck

Elbow picking is bad. Wrist picking is good.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
i'm not talking about up and down elbow picking, i'm talking about side to side elbow picking

¿Que?
Quote by robsayswhat
¿Que?

hold your hand flat palm up. keeping your wrist straigt, rotate your hand so your palm is facing to the left side

that is what i'm talking about, i guess it kind of could be called wrist picking because your elbow dosen't move but nither does your wrist, the movement comes from more of your forearm

so therefore i shall call it forearm picking
I just tried it. You use your wrist.

You make no sense, but you like Fallen - that makes up for it.
Quote by guitarist10
I have a HUGE problem. I can't really get past 110 BPM without deacreasing my accuacy a lot!

Any ideas? I anchor my pinky finger and back of my forearm (close to my elbow) to the guitar and hold my pick at a slight angle - /|
(that is about the angle I hold it at, the slash represents the pick and the straight line represents the string) I use a 1.14mm pick and I'm looking into getting lighter strings. At the moment my string gauge is .46 - .10

you just have to take it little bits at a time. thats the only way really. plus, maybe you shouldnt anchor so much. you might be causing too much tension in your picking hand which can actually slow you down. try staying loose and light while still playing these things accuratly. you may have to go to a slower speed unfortunatly. but it will help you in the long run. you can still touch the guitar a bit but make sure nothing is fixed. my fingers touch the body when i play but my hand is still free to move. and thats what you want.

also, make sure your fretting hand isnt tensed up either. it will slow you down for sure. make sure you arent making large movements with your fingers. try to stay close to the strings. usually when you watch people play fast up close, their hands arent actually going at rediculous speeds. and thats because you want to use economy of motion to make sure you arent moving more than you need. if you do, it just takes more time to get your finger to the string and can build tension. look at malmsteen play. both his hands look pretty relaxed and make small movments for the most part.

so just take it slow, build accuracy, and take a look at you technique. speed comes with time and proper practice. its a by product of accuracy. so thats why you need time and proper practice with proper technique. you dont want to practice the wrong thing other wise you'll just be flapping your fingers fast and wondering why you sound like crap. i find the more i dont worry about being fast, the faster i actually play. cuz when i think about it, i tense up. but when im just playing normal and not thinking about speed, ill play the same runs faster and smoother because im loose. so hopefully some of this was helpful.
Quote by BGSM

i think i get what hes saying. i think he means like turning a door knob type of motion. it isnt your elbow and not really your wrist. i think hes thinking of wrist picking as if you were to just move your wrist side to side. which actually wouldnt be to good.
Quote by BGSM

wait, i think i got it

look at this

Brachioradial: muscle used to rotate the hand.

see, its kinda close to the elbow, in the forearm

i know i suck at explaining stuff

Edit: yes, the guy above me explained it like i was trying to say
Quote by breakstuff
I am totally against anchoring, but thats just me, it limits your overall picking hand motion. Secondly try playing at 106 and absolutely master it, then attempt 114 a number of times then attempt 110, you should get results. Hopefully.

Anchoring messes up your alternate picking consistency, which is the drive force behind getting your speed up. (You can only learn to do something really fast if you do the exact same thing every time you practice it. If you dont, itll be different every time you try and therefore the practice will not allow you to learn and get better).

A metronome is definately a neccesity in any faster players arsenal. Actually, I think every guitar player should have one regardless of their speed, just to get their rhythm tight.

When playing with a metronome, start slow. Like, at 4/4th 60bpm. Use '2 steps forward, 1 step back'. Make sure you can play everything you can play slowly and perfectly. If you start making mistakes, go back to 60bpm and start over again. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Make sure you know all the tiny movements you need to make to get everything entirely right. Use your wrist to pick, NOT your arm and NOT your fingers. Hold your pick lightly. Do not tense up. Before you start, do a warm up for all your muscles and specifically the ones you use with the guitar.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard