Hey guys,

I've been self taught on and off for 2 years or so, and I've only recently begun to try soloing. I hope you guys can provide some guidance for me to get down some basic techniques. Here is part of the solo to Fade to Black (around the beginning part to the last solo in the song):

Red Circle:
1)Do I bend the 9 with my ring finger only? I need my middle + ring finger to have enough strength for the full bend. And do I bend the string up, or down?
2) the 10^7, is that a pull-off? I'm not sure how to read guitar pro tabs.
3) For the whole riff in the red circle, do I mute the G string after the 9 bend, or do i let go entirely? Letting go entirely seems easier for me, but it slightly rings afterwards.

Blue Circle:
1) Again, is the 10^7 a pull-off, or do i just keep picking it?

Green Circle:
1) Do I bend this E string with just my pinky? It doesn't have that type of strength! And do I bend it up or down?

I think after I get this down I'll be able to finish the rest of the solo, and probably more solos thereafter. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.
Quote by want2playalk3
Hey guys,

I've been self taught on and off for 2 years or so, and I've only recently begun to try soloing. I hope you guys can provide some guidance for me to get down some basic techniques. Here is part of the solo to Fade to Black (around the beginning part to the last solo in the song):

Red Circle:
1)Do I bend the 9 with my ring finger only? I need my middle + ring finger to have enough strength for the full bend. And do I bend the string up, or down?
2) the 10^7, is that a pull-off? I'm not sure how to read guitar pro tabs.
3) For the whole riff in the red circle, do I mute the G string after the 9 bend, or do i let go entirely? Letting go entirely seems easier for me, but it slightly rings afterwards.

Blue Circle:
1) Again, is the 10^7 a pull-off, or do i just keep picking it?

Green Circle:
1) Do I bend this E string with just my pinky? It doesn't have that type of strength! And do I bend it up or down?

I think after I get this down I'll be able to finish the rest of the solo, and probably more solos thereafter. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Red Circle:
1)If you need both fingers for the bend use them, it's a no brainier, usually full bends are up.
2) Yes it's a pull off
3) It doesn't say to mute it but possibly a slight mute after you pick the end note will make it sound better, try it.

Blue Circle:
1) Pull off again

Green Circle:
1) Again if you need too, use two fingers, and full bends are usually up.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
personally on the first section I use my second finger on the 9th, 1st finger on the 7th and 3rd on the 10th frets.

The second section is indeed pull-offs using either your 3rd or 4th and 1st finger, again I use 3rd.

I would mute the g after the bend or it will sound very sloppy, if you look at the music it is only meant to be a 16th note.

for the green circle I bend this with my 3rd finger with my 2nd adding a bit of support behind it.

hope that helps and keep at it
Thanks guys. If I need more help I'll post in this thread so I don't keep creating more threads.

One more question for now. For Pull-offs, do I simply pull off my finger, or should the finger I pull off also slightly strum the note on the way off? I guess I need to practice my hammer and pullofs for soloing!
If you can have your finger (pulling off) slightly strum the string yes. You shouldn't need to though I wouldn't think. Keep plugging away at it, you will get it.
make sure that when you finish the string bends not to just let them down make sure you release a little pressure before you let them go so as to mute em off

and for heaven sakes dont bend with just your pinky,,,infact never bend with your pink, use one of your other fingers with one of two others behind if for support or you'll do yourself an injury
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC