solo/improving/pretty much any composition
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
scales are the building blocks of all music. i'm not very in depth, but if you search around you'll find out what they are and what they're used for.
Quote by Mynabull
solo/improving/pretty much any composition

But how?
let's shred!
Short answer...everything.

Scales are a collection of notes that make sense when played together. There is a formula for which notes go into which scale, but, for all intents and purposes, we'll keep it basic. If you were to play a song in the scale of C Minor, which has the notes C, D, D#, F, G, G#, and A#, playing a different note--say, an E--wouldn't sound right, as it's not in the key of C Minor. That's not to say that you can't play it; it simply would sound out of place in the song. Certain chords sound good behind certain scales, and there are many different scales, but the vast majority of songs (or at least different parts of songs) are written with a similar scale in mind--the chord progression, riffs, and solos are all in the same key.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Last edited by Gunpowder at Mar 27, 2008,
^ i can't believe you went throught all that trouble

just read the sticky
song stuck in my head today

Quote by smidge146
But how?

You might as well ask how you use letters to write and speak...it's such a massive subject and it requires years of studying to understand it, you can't just sum it up in a forum post.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by one vision
A scale is pretty much the notes of a certain key.

Think of it as an arpeggio of the scale. The notes of a key played seperatly. Hmmm.

The major and minor scales could be seen as exactly playing the seven notes in a key. The endless amounts of other scales don't correspond exactly to the notes in specific keys.
Quote by :-D
The major and minor scales could be seen as exactly playing the seven notes in a key. The endless amounts of other scales don't correspond exactly to the notes in specific keys.

Well they have their own key in a way. EH w/e yeah I guess.
Quote by one vision
Well they have their own key in a way. EH w/e yeah I guess.

Not really, there are specific keys which refer to what major or minor tonal center exists and therefore what major or minor scale you'll use. There's no key such as "X Phrygian Dominant" or "X Harmonic Minor", those are just scales.
Quote by lbc_sublime
^ i can't believe you went throught all that trouble
It took me no more than a couple of minutes, but I was trying to make a point.
Quote by smidge146
what are scales used for?

They aren't used for. They just are. They are groups of notes (usually of those which sound good together).
Music is like a language that you need to really study to become literate in. If I told you write now a major triad is the first, third, and fifth of the major scale you would have no idea what I'm talking about.

Get yourself a book on music theory. I recommend Muscian's Institure Press Harmony and Theory.

But, to answer your question, scales are used to build everything in music. When you play a C chord you are playing the first note of the C scale (C), the third note of the C chord (E), and the fifth note of the C scale (G). The formula for a major triad (any chord that has three notes is a triad) is 1-3-5. The formula for a minor triad is 1-FLAT3-5. The numbers correspond to the notes in the scale. This might seem off topic, but just keep reading.

If I wanted to make a major triad (1-3-5) in G major since it has different notes in the scale the notes in the chord are different. A G major chord is G-B-D. Scales are kind of an outline of everything. The formula of the major scale is whole step between intervals 1 and, whole step between intervals 2 and 3, half step between intervals 3 and 4, whole step between intervals 4 and 5, whole step between intervals 5 and 6, whole step between intervals 6 and 6, and half step between 7 and 8. To make a scale minor you flat the third. To make it diminished you would flat the third and fifth.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Basically what everyone else has said, i'm kinda repeating here... a scale is a set of notes that sound a certain way together (i.e. happy, mournful, eastern, etc). Practically, you can use it to write and improvise chord progressions, solos, riffs, vocal tracks, etc... They may seem over-complicated at first, but it won't take too long to understand how they can help you once you get a handle on how they work
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...