I'm not sure where this goes, so I'll put it here.

My bass sounds fine by itself. Then I plug it into the computer through the line-in jack to record, and it sounds horrible! Here's an example: http://www.box.net/shared/j5n9revk8w

I recorded that with the volume as low as it will go on my amp. The line-in volume is pretty low too. I've tried EQ'ing it out and having nothing but treble. Nothing will work.

My band has some good songs, but we need bass!

Edit: I'm using an Ibanez GSR190 (yes, the Starter Pack bass) and a Johnson 30B amp.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Last edited by Armagedn at Mar 27, 2008,
What amp do you have?
Your amp may not have the right output or your soundcard may not be able to handle the input signal.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It's becasue you are pluging it in to line ine jack. Consider getting an audio interface with a HiZ plug (normal for bass and guitars)

If you get the Toneport by line 6 it is a great interface for about 50 bucks and has great modeling software with it.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Is the Toneport one of those cords that plugs from the guitar to the USB port?

Edit: Never mind, I just looked it up. I might have to get one of those...
yeah i got the UX1 it is a moel up and it is amazing!
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Everybody here seems to be missing the largest point, you said you were using something called a bass guitar? Theres your problem, what you're looking for is a musical instrument like an electric guitar.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by evilbeaver22
Everybody here seems to be missing the largest point, you said you were using something called a bass guitar? Theres your problem, what you're looking for is a musical instrument like an electric guitar.

GTFO.

It's most definitely cliping. The TonePort would be a good solution, though you might want to just try plugging your bass directly into the soundcard with no amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
GTFO.
It's most definitely cliping. The TonePort would be a good solution, though you might want to just try plugging your bass directly into the soundcard with no amp.

I just tried that. Surprisingly enough, it kinda works. It's really quiet, though. I'm recording it with Audacity, maybe I can amplify it there without clipping.

Edit: Yeah! I can amplify it in Audacity without any problems at all! It's a very basic way of doing it, but it will work until I can afford one of those Toneports. The one I was looking at is $200 on Musicians Friend.
Quote by Armagedn
I just tried that. Surprisingly enough, it kinda works. It's really quiet, though. I'm recording it with Audacity, maybe I can amplify it there without clipping.

Edit: Yeah! I can amplify it in Audacity without any problems at all! It's a very basic way of doing it, but it will work until I can afford one of those Toneports. The one I was looking at is $200 on Musicians Friend.

Figured it would, glad I could help For bass it works quite well because all that's really needed is a clean tone, if you use pedals it gets a bit more difficult, but with no effects you can get by with it.

The UX2 is the one you're looking at I'm guessing then, I own it and I really like it, it's kinda hard to get a good tone out of micing an amp with it but once you get the mic placement right you're gtg. I really don't like its high gain models for guitar on it but the bass models should be good as I really like the lower gain stuff it has, not bad at all really. Effects like reverb and chorus are pretty cool too and have a lot of options to changing the speed etc on them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com