I need some advice from the UG Community - I don't have enough experience with strats/pickup mods to know if this would be worth it:

My first guitar (a cheap strat copy from the mid '90's) is sitting here collecting dust. (I'm holding onto it for sentimental reasons I guess.) I hardly ever play it since I recently bought a Les Paul and obviously prefer that. BUT, I don't have another strat.

So here's my question, should I: 1. Let it continue to collect dust and maybe buy a real strat in a year or so OR 2. Make it my first project guitar with better pickups on it and replace the bridge? (I was thinking Texas Specials a la SRV.)

Basically, it's a plywood (or maybe even particle board?) body (cheap but extremely tough) with very little sustain and an awesome neck worn down from glossy to satin and extremely fast. Tuners are great, pickups are awful.

Whaddya think?
I say you fix it, just make sure you know what you're doing or you have someone that does helping you
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
make it your project guitar you already have one great guitar, so why buy another one
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Vox AD30VT
install a kill-switch
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Project guitar mate. Don't forget, once you've put the pups, they're yours forever, you don't have to leave them in the guitar. Also, if you love the neck but hate the body, you could just buy a new body off eBay or something, they're always going on there.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
install a kill-switch

lol, I was seriously thinking of doing that since Tom Morello is my favorite guitarist, BUT, with the Texas Specials I might make this a SRV-type guitar (2nd favorite guitarist, although he is far more talented than Tom). Tom used Vintage Noiseless pickups for neck/middle and a SD Hot Rails in the bridge on Soul Power.
Quote by Kurapica
Project guitar mate. Don't forget, once you've put the pups, they're yours forever, you don't have to leave them in the guitar. Also, if you love the neck but hate the body, you could just buy a new body off eBay or something, they're always going on there.

hmmmm, good point. Anyone else? This is my first thread on this forum and I'm really impressed with the fast responses so far!