I have a few questions about effects loops and about effects in general

so i just got my new carvin V3
and i'm loving the tone, it took a while to get it to where i like it, but now that i got it, it's all good

well, i've never owned a tube amp head before, and i wanted to try out the effects loop, i've heard good things and bad things here and there about effects loops
but i tried it, and my wah and my whammy pedal sounded AMAZING through the effects loop, it's weird sounding to put my wah through it, but i have a shortage of cables, so i tried it
i love it.... BUT, i noticed that it sucks out my natural tone on the amp! especially on distortion!, it's not alot, but it's noticeable

so i'm thinking of sticking to putting my pedals in front of the amp, but i was wondering if there was any way i could still put it through the effects loop without it sucking out my tone or if that's just inevitable?

if so, then that's a real bummer, but then i have another issue on my hands, my wah pedal sounds great on my clean channel when ran in front of my amp, but it sounds weak as hell on my distorted channels! i dont get the WAH WAH that i want, i get a minor wah and a mix of distortion (and no, i'm not a gain freak, i keep my gain around 7 MAX, more of a really overdriven sound than distortion)
i was wondering if there was anything to be done about this as well?
i have a dunlop crybaby original gcb-95, is there a more powerful wah out there that i can get where i wont have this issue?
it worked fine in front of my vox, just not my carvin...
What pedals do you have? Any pitch changing toys (wahs, Whammys, octavers, etc) should go in front of the amp, along with over drivers. I find EQs work better in front a swell. Modulation and delay effects go in back.
all i have is a crybaby wah, digitech whammy, and a boss ds-1
basically the "chase after tom morello's tone!" amateur set-up
well, thanks for the advice, but my crybaby will still sound like arse mixed with the distortion if i set it up in front of the amp, any advice about this?
should i just get a new wah pedal? or is this just gonna happen inevitably?
Quote by parkerfly123
well, thanks for the advice, but my crybaby will still sound like arse mixed with the distortion if i set it up in front of the amp, any advice about this?
should i just get a new wah pedal? or is this just gonna happen inevitably?

Set it up like this:

Guitar > Whammy > Wah > DS-1. No need to use the effects loop.

Also experiment with putting the DS1 between the Whammy and the Wah, but that one is the most common setup.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Mar 27, 2008,
One thing that most people are unaware of when they first start experimenting with the effects loop is that not all pedals despite even being modulation or time based(ie delays) will sound good in the effects loop. It's just a hard fact of life and amps that some pedals will just wind up sucking tone in the loop. A lot of it just depends on how the pedal is built
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator