View poll results: Upgrade Or Not?
Yes, you should upgrade.
25 52%
No, you should NOT upgrade.
19 40%
Shut-up Noob!
4 8%
Voters: 48.
I started playing bass a while ago but a received very few lessons, I could play Basket Case, a couple of scales, and Crazy Train up till the solo ( yeah I suck ), but I bought the cheapest bass in the store because I thought I should get good at that and then upgrade to a better one ( a non-5string, I have taken the the B string off since I don't use it )
Should I keep trying to get better on the bass I have now, or should I get a new one since I have been practicing for a while. ( i can play some RHCP songs pretty decently )
Attachments:
que.JPG
So what is your current bass?

From what I can see is it's a JBass of some shape or form, but what is it a Squire or somthing?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah, I say go for the upgrade, if you want something similar go for a Fender J-Bass, but there is much more variety depending on what kinda stuff you want to play.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't really see a need for the upgrade. The very fact that you had to ask means you don't need one. Wait until your taste develops some more and can get exactly what you want.

I guess you do have a point, best way to tell if you need one it to play other basses, if you can tell that the new one is better, your ready for the upgrade.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
dont upgrade yet
wait until you know you should
if you are still not sure is cause you are not ready so dont upgrade yet
learn about basses also so you have an idea of what kind of bass is for you
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't really see a need for the upgrade. The very fact that you had to ask means you don't need one. Wait until your taste develops some more and can get exactly what you want.

That is an extremely valid point, but I think that playing a 5 string like a 4 string can develop bad habits early on, and hurt overall skill development, I reccomend an upgrade.

Looking at your bass, I reccomend a 4 string MIM fender jazz bass, it will be better for you, feel better, and sound better.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I say wait, but use the time to start trying out different basses. There is something to be said for having to woodshed on a lesser bass. It makes you really work to achieve a good tone and technique. I learned on a bass with impossibly high action; as a result, I developed very strong technique in my fretting hand.

The reason I say to keep trying out different basses as well, is that one day you will pick up a bass that just feels, plays and sounds amazing. It will be a Eureka moment. And at that point, the plus is that the better bass will push you to the next level in your playing.
Dont upgarde and put the string back on.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I'm proud bass forum.

No one has voted "shut up noob". How Sweet.

If say if you absolute hate the bass you have, go buy a new one. No sense of playing if you hate the feel and aren't having fun.
I say no to the upgrade, but if you need a new challange try putting the 5th string back on and learning some songs that need a 5th string. And if the bass is working good then keep it, but like others have said, you'll know when the time is right by going and trying other basses and finding the one that takes your breath away and makes you want to play till there's smoke rising from your fingers!! But for now just the 5th string and more practice. Save up for a real good bass and amp for your next upgrade later on down the road.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
Don't upgrade just yet but spend some of your time checking out different basses and what not.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
If you aren't happy with the bass you're playing currently, get a new one. IOf you don't like the instrument you're playing, that can deter you from practicing on it regularly which will impede your development.

Also, Whether or not you get a new bass should never be dependant on how "good" you are. If you want one and have the money, get it.

EDIT: Put that 5th string on and learn to play two octave scales using the B-string.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
dude, you can get a fender MIM off of ebay for like 300 bucks

I got my MIM fender jazz with rio grande pickups for 330 after shipping, just shop around after u figure out what u like to play
...even when i'm sleepin' i'm keepin' it real.
Don't upgrade, do what other people said. Play some and when you find one that you love, then it's time to upgrade.

Oh, and put the B string back on. Even if you don't use it much, you can still rest your thumb on it.
Quote by fleawannabe1992
It's a 5-String Brownsville that cost $170, but I don't know any more than that.

Oh god I bought that bass back in the begining days when I wanted a 5 string. Needless to say I returned it with in the 1 month return policy. But it is up to you if you wish to upgrade. If you don't like the tone, go for it.
lol ^^^^.. get a new set then bro. and about the upgrading thing, you shouldn't have to upgrade yet. you still have TONS to learn. The bass isn't holding you back. so for that reason alone it would be a bad idea to upgrade so soon. I waited for over a year before i got the bass i'll have for the rest of my life, right from my starter bass. I had to make sure my chops were up to par for an upgrade (it would be funny seeing someone with an MIA Jazz and couldn't play it), aswell as knowing if i was going to stick to playing bass for a long ass time.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
you could upgrade. but only if you really want to. and have the money. i'd spend a lot of time trying different basses from different brands. and don't upgrade to a real expensive bass. go no higher than $500 i'd say. that's being generous considering the situation. your tastes will change over time and when you do buy a more expensive one you'll know exactly what you want. I don't hvae a definite vote on yes or no. you could keep getting by with what you got. or if you've got money you could buy a new one. BTW. how long have you been playing? i played my first bass for a few years but it was about double that price i think.

Oh. and definitely put the 5th string back on. the uneven tension can twist the neck over time and then it will be unplayable and unfixable. unless you have 2 truss rods. which considering the price of that bass i'd say it doesn't.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Crashman77
I say no to the upgrade, but if you need a new challange try putting the 5th string back on and learning some songs that need a 5th string. And if the bass is working good then keep it, but like others have said, you'll know when the time is right by going and trying other basses and finding the one that takes your breath away and makes you want to play till there's smoke rising from your fingers!! But for now just the 5th string and more practice. Save up for a real good bass and amp for your next upgrade later on down the road.

Speaking of which, I know there is a beginner song list floating about, but have we ever created a "Songs for 5 string bass" list?
How long have you been playing? Tbh, if you can afford the upgrade go for it, if not, beg for it
Check out an American Jazz, doubt you'll look back, they feel sooo good
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism