So I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys... they sound very professional recording wise and the tone possibilities seem quite endless. However I can find only good stuff about them... and when buying something I need to know the ups and the downs. If anyone can help me weigh out the options and perhaps point out any similar equipment for recording and such in the price range let me know.

However I'm almost sold, that might just be because I haven't heard the downsides...

Help me all knowing GG&A forum.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
I have one and have used it a very good amount.

They are alright..
Several different tones, I really like the hi-gain you can get on these things making squeals and such crystal clear but when it comes to playing high on the fret board I just can't find a good sounding tone.. sounds flat and thin..
I've tried everything and just overall don't like the tones out of these things..
can't get one of those awesome sounding professional tones with it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I have one and have used it a very good amount.

They are alright..
Several different tones, I really like the hi-gain you can get on these things making squeals and such crystal clear but when it comes to playing high on the fret board I just can't find a good sounding tone.. sounds flat and thin..
I've tried everything and just overall don't like the tones out of these things..
can't get one of those awesome sounding professional tones with it.

Mmm, distortion does matter a good deal to me.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cuPSSyF5UE0

I really like this fellows video and he supposedly plays right through the Pod, I know it's metalcore and not probably really not that great for thrash or death/black metal. But I thought it sounded okay.

I heard you can download other people's presets too and use them for yourself? Is this true?

What do you run yours through?

Click me, or I'll die.

nah bro if you want a good tone get a better amp and/or with single pedals.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by tenaciousjp
nah bro if you want a good tone get a better amp and/or with single pedals.

I'm not interested in the tone all that much honestly, what most intrigues me is the recording features, it just seems like a very versatile thing to have. Tonewise out of my amp, I have my AD30VT and Sg special... so I'm set there .

Click me, or I'll die.

Save a little more and get the PodXT, it's worth it. The 2.0 is very basic, not a whole lot of editing available. The XT has more amp models, effects, stomps, delays, reverb, I&O options, and deeper editing capabilities. I've been using my PodXT for home recording for the past 2 years. Be prepared to spend some time tweaking to get the results you're after.

You can download artist and user patches off of Custom Tone via the USB connection. A lot of the patches on Custom Tone are pretty bad. You'd be better off creating your own patches or downloading a bundle from Vettaville. Check my profile. I've got a link to my soundclick page. Every song was recorded using a PodXT and my own custom patches.

If that's too much of a hassle, here's the link.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Save a little more and get the PodXT, it's worth it. The 2.0 is very basic, not a whole lot of editing available. The XT has more amp models, effects, stomps, delays, reverb, I&O options, and deeper editing capabilities. I've been using my PodXT for home recording for the past 2 years. Be prepared to spend some time tweaking to get the results you're after.

You can download artist and user patches off of Custom Tone via the USB connection. A lot of the patches on Custom Tone are pretty bad. You'd be better off creating your own patches or downloading a bundle from Vettaville. Check my profile. I've got a link to my soundclick page. Every song was recorded using a PodXT and my own custom patches.

If that's too much of a hassle, here's the link.

+1 I've had the XTL for about 6 months and i'm finding great tones from blues to metal. Once you start getting the hang of how this thing works it's a pretty nice setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD