okay so ive got a epi old g-400 and the pickups are really hot, a lil to hot for somethings i play so i get this very high screetched dreaded squeal, not i know what everyones gonna say "get a diff pickup" but thats not what i wanna do, is there anyway to reduce the output ?
Lowering the pickup will definitely help with the feedback. If it's still unbearable, you could try removing the cover from the pickup (just in case it's microphonic feedback from cover vibrations). Otherwise, fiddling with your guitar/pedal/amp settings should help you to cut it. Roll the treble freqs off slightly, pull the gain back, and consider a noise gate/suppressor.
The high pitched squeal has nothing to do with how "hot" the pickup is. It's because it's a cheap stock pickup that isn't potted in wax to prevent microphonic feedback. Not the good harmonic feedback, but uncontrollable squealing. If you slapped a good pickup in there, like a Duncan you would not get that bad feedback.
Quote by GoDrex
The high pitched squeal has nothing to do with how "hot" the pickup is. It's because it's a cheap stock pickup that isn't potted in wax to prevent microphonic feedback. Not the good harmonic feedback, but uncontrollable squealing. If you slapped a good pickup in there, like a Duncan you would not get that bad feedback.

Hence my suggestion to remove the cover
Quote by -MintSauce-
Lowering the pickup will definitely help with the feedback. If it's still unbearable, you could try removing the cover from the pickup (just in case it's microphonic feedback from cover vibrations). Otherwise, fiddling with your guitar/pedal/amp settings should help you to cut it. Roll the treble freqs off slightly, pull the gain back, and consider a noise gate/suppressor.

how would i remove the cover?
Quote by GoDrex

Actually, G-400 pickups are wax potted.

threadstarter, Try playing further away from your amp, and lower your pickups.
Here's a guide on that:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg