hey, i just got a new Gretsch G5135 today at guitar center used for 350... a great deal! but im already having problems... the g string is like rattling when i play it open. and, if i shake the guitar really hard i can hear the rattling. whats wrong? its only on the g string. it sounds fine on the frets but just when i play open. thanks

crazy
check to see if the neck is warped cause if it is, it might be hitting against the strings. just tighten the truss-rod to fix that
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I'd find a good guitar shop from word of mouth around your area, and have them do a full setup on it. They'll check the neck, string clearance, saddles, etc. It's worth the money to have a professional have at your guitar to make it play its best.
Brotherhood of Vox Group Member #30
'08 Fender American Standard Strat
'07 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honeyburst w/Gibson 498T &490R
'06 Ibanez Artcore Archtop

Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH w/Blue 4x12" Vox Cab
Vox AD30VT
Quote by crazywhiteboi94
sabbath how do i tighten the truss rod?

Do not touch the truss rod. Until your problem can be properly diagnosed that sort of advice should not be listened to.

Where did you buy the guitar?
Quote by nemo636
I'd find a good guitar shop from word of mouth around your area, and have them do a full setup on it. They'll check the neck, string clearance, saddles, etc. It's worth the money to have a professional have at your guitar to make it play its best.

+1

Just worked on one the other day... There a pretty big pain to deal with. I also wouldnt own one because of that and im a tech lol.

Also sounds like something is off in the saddle area... If you shake it and it rattles.
i got it at guitar center. and when i shake it, it sounds like just a soft little metallic banging. would overdoing the tremolo cause this problem? the buzzing is only on the open g string, nothing else
I wouldn't but I have no experience of US(?) guitar shops.

In the UK most shops will let you bring the guitar back for a free set up once the guitar has 'settled' into its new home.
do you think it can be fixed tho? i dont wanna trade it back cuz i got a hell of a deal..... 350$. its like 550 new. now the g and the b strings make that rattling noise when ever i play them open....
Yeah it can be fixed mate don't worry. Its most probably due to the action changing slightly in its new enviroment. The other rattle could be anything tbh but it'll be repairable
thanks! do you think its my fault? or is it just the guitar.... and one more question. for the tremolo is the spring supposed to be attatched to the tremolo handle? or just fit in there. because when i pull up the tremolo significantly the spring will like not be secured in and it can switch positions.