I want to get a clean sound, but distored. AKA, I want distortion, but to the point where I can play notes and have them sound good and not get too out of control. Basically, I want the soudn Billie Joe Armstrong frmo Green Day uses on Time of your Life on the bullet of a bible DVD. It's not distorted rock, but its not clean either. Anyone have any idea? I have a Spider III 15, and a Digitech RP250. Thanks SO SO SO much. Really, the soud I'm talking about is what he is using on Good Riddance I think. Any advice? ^_^

-Slash
Last edited by Slash42x at Mar 27, 2008,
you cant be clean and distorted at the same time. that said, it sounds like what you are describing is a slightly over driven tube sound, which you wont get from a spider.
Quote by Slash42x
I want to get a clean sound, but distored. AKA, I want distortion, but to the point where I can play notes and have them sound good and not get too out of control. Basically, I want the soudn Billie Joe Armstrong frmo Green Day uses on Time of your Life on the bullet of a bible DVD. It's not distorted rock, but its not clean either. Anyone have any idea? I have a Spider III 15, and a Digitech RP250. Thanks SO SO SO much. Really, the soud I'm talking about is what he is using on Good Riddance I think. Any advice? ^_^

-Slash

That'd probably be amp decay. Needs time, turn your amp up to full volume and play it for a while.
slash? personally id expect you to know this by now, seeing as though you are practically a god.
turn your gain down....
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
^What Marrklarr said, but the best way you can try is to use a distortion channel, and roll back on your volume knob on the guitar.
Quote by Megadeth122
Become an hero.

rules 1+2

Quote by Marrklarr
you cant be clean and distorted at the same time. that said, it sounds like what you are describing is a slightly over driven tube sound, which you wont get from a spider.

I know you can't be distorted adn clean at the same time.. but the soudn he has isnt' clean OR distorted. It's almost both. I can't get that kinda soud out of my 250 maybe?
Quote by Flying Couch
^What Marrklarr said, but the best way you can try is to use a distortion channel, and roll back on your volume knob on the guitar.

Surprisingly, taht seems to work. I'm gonna have to toy with it a bit though.
Quote by Slash42x

It's very useful for flicking between a backing tone and a lead tone without any pedals or amp fiddling. Just knocking the gain back on the amp works too. With valve amps, just cranking the clean channel does the trick too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Slash42x

I think it's called a "crunch" sound, though I might be mistaken.

I usually roll my volume back about 2-4 units to get a nice tone.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by Slash42x
Heh. What I do is put the pickup selector on the middle position (currently using a PRS Singlecut ) and roll the neck humbucker back to about 5-7. I then keep the bridge pickup on 9-10, and roll it back to 4-6 for cleans. Works like a charm, to the point where I haven't even used a clean channel in months.
put your marshall on clean and turn up the gain
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
I'll tell you, but first tell me how to divide by zero.

But seriously I don't think its possible with such... intermediate gear. You'd probably need a whole line of pedals. Buckethead acheives a tone which you're talking about. Clean yet distinguishable individual notes.
If low gain doesn't help turning the tone knob back might ...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Is it possible to set up your pedal so you can use a suppresing effect and a distortion one at the same time?

If so, you need to turn up the suppresor as high as it will go, and set the distortion somewhere between the low end and the middle of the knob.

I don't know if your pedal has a knob where you can change the tone of the effects, but thats how you do it.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr