What are some of the best actual universities to attend for music (I mean places like princeton, stanford, etc.)?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
if you want to go for music, why not.....go to a music school?, especially if your not outlying your primary intent
Temple University in Philadelphia has an excellent music school. Its other academics aren't at the same level as Princeton, but the music program is excellent.
I don't know the schools in the states well, but UNT has a very superb reputation for their jazz program.

Maybe consider coming to Canada ... even as an international student, paying double tuition, it's usually cheaper, drinking age is lower, pot's way cheaper, and maybe it's a bit colder but the outdoor hockey's pretty good.
Wesleyan is probably the best, or at least one of the best, as far as world music programs..but if that's not what you're into then it's probably not worth it (though there are certain rather legendary people who teach there that aren't specifically world music people, most noticeably anthony braxton). It's also one of the "faux-ivy" schools (or little ivys...not sure which is the term) so the academics and whatnot are quite good as well. Downside of that is you probably need some pretty good grades to get in.
So yeah, if you'd want to learn how to play a javanese gamelan, take ridiculously hard south indian music theory classes or have a west african drumming class that consists of drum circles...it's something to look into.

Course I'm biased as I go there...
Quote by Nick_
I don't know the schools in the states well, but UNT has a very superb reputation for their jazz program.

Maybe consider coming to Canada ... even as an international student, paying double tuition, it's usually cheaper, drinking age is lower, pot's way cheaper, and maybe it's a bit colder but the outdoor hockey's pretty good.

What exactly does UNT stand for? google isn't helping by only giving me University of North Texas.. which clearly isn't in Canada... unless I misunderstood your message and you were talking about University of North Texas, and speaking about Canada separately, in which case just ignore me.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
If you want to study film composition like me, I heard that UCLA and NYU are good. It also gives you good experience because they have a huge film department so you get to score other students' movies.

Berklee does offer a liberal arts, so as long as you can afford Berklee that's probably the best choice.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Temple University in Philadelphia has an excellent music school. Its other academics aren't at the same level as Princeton, but the music program is excellent.

philly for the win!

Edit: By the way, I know Fred M. from Breaking Pangea and Taking Back Sunday graduated from Temple with a Jazz guitar degree.
Manhattan school of music?

Julliard?

Those are probably #1 and #2 (only switched around) in the entire US, and both certainly world-reknowned. Of course, like any high-calibre school like that, getting in is a trick in itself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Here's a joke....

Julliard is where people who don't get into Curtis go.

Yea...the Curtis Institute of Music has only around 130 students, only accepts new students as the previous graduate and if you get in you are on a full ride scholarship.

There is also schools like Eastman and Peabody which are top tier schools.
When he said UNT he meant u of north Texas, as they have a great jazz program. The "Canada" phrase was in a different paragraph but was irrelevant to the music discussion as far as I am concerned; probably because of the low drinking age and cheap weed I'm guessing.
City College of New York.... REPRESENT! hahah

Yup Julliard it is. Most of my young professors graduated there. Every time i go there, i wish i was good enough to be IN it. But i just buy books at their bookstore cause they are always cheaper than mine.
Wow I was just about to mention UNT. I actually personally spoke with a teacher there, who went to many other schools across Texas and he said UNT had a fantastic music program. Yeah, there's UH and Rice and stuff, but then there was UNT.
* Nobody likes WootSticks