My guitar starts buzzing pretty loud when I stop touching it. It's only when the tone knob is rolled all the way up. There is also a less audible buzz when I am touching the guitar.

However, when I roll the tone knob down, there is no buzz, whether I touch the guitar or not.

I've checked the connections of the wiring and everything seems to be right.

This is how it's currently wired.
Blue wires are actually white.

Any help is appreciated.
check the soder on the back of the tone pot if it is dull it needs to be resodered
and if you pot has a coating on it scrape it off before you redo the soder.
It's normal for it to buzz when you take your hand off, as you break the ground. when you turn the tone back, it cut sout the trebles and mids that white noise like that lurks in.
@CJ - Yeah, but it started buzzing a bit louder lately. Almost like it's not grounded at all. It doesn't sound to me like the buzz I used to get with my hands off the guitar.

Quote by flames&guitars
check the soder on the back of the tone pot if it is dull it needs to be resodered
and if you pot has a coating on it scrape it off before you redo the soder.

It looks like the connection is pretty solid, but I'll redo it. Tomorrow though, as I don't have time today.
Quote by ketiov
@CJ - Yeah, but it started buzzing a bit louder lately. Almost like it's not grounded at all. It doesn't sound to me like the buzz I used to get with my hands off the guitar.

It looks like the connection is pretty solid, but I'll redo it. Tomorrow though, as I don't have time today.

Change your EQ lately?
Quote by CJRocker
Change your EQ lately?

Not really. In fact I've rolled off the gain a bit. Nothing else has changed about my setup either.

Like I said, I'll try re-soldering the connection, and see if that helps.
Quote by Invader Jim
These threads are getting really annoying. CJ is right.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Either this buzzing suddenly got worse, or I'm imagining it, and I doubt it's the latter. This isn't a "PMG MY GITAR IS BUZZING WUD DO I DO???" thread. It is a "Hey guys, my guitar started buzzing more than normal. Here what the insides look like. This is what has changed. What could be the source of the problem?" thread.

If you're only going to bring hostility into a thread, then just don't post.

On Topic: I'm re-soldering the connection at the moment.
Quote by ketiov
Not really. In fact I've rolled off the gain a bit. Nothing else has changed about my setup either.

Like I said, I'll try re-soldering the connection, and see if that helps.

Possible one of the extra grounds on the body might of broken or come loose. You plug anything else at all in the outlet?

The part where it goes away when you touch it is still normal, but if it's gotten worse something changed electrically in the circuit.
Quote by ketiov
Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Either this buzzing suddenly got worse, or I'm imagining it, and I doubt it's the latter. This isn't a "PMG MY GITAR IS BUZZING WUD DO I DO???" thread. It is a "Hey guys, my guitar started buzzing more than normal. Here what the insides look like. This is what has changed. What could be the source of the problem?" thread.

If you're only going to bring hostility into a thread, then just don't post.

Hey, you are the one who took it as hostile. I was just stating a fact. Yes, I misread the first post. I admit it; And it doesn't help that my dial-up can't load pics worth a flip. But don't fly off the handle just because I said the thread was annoying. You haven't even seen me when I'm hostile. Me knowing/not knowing what I'm talking about has absolutely nothing to do with this, either, so thanks for the pointless insult.
The tone knob just cuts that frequency. Are you sure that your output is wired up correctly?

If so,
If you have a wire with alligators at both ends, start touching one end of it to your pots and switch with one of your strings clipped on the other end of the wire. See if one of your touches makes it go away. That'll narrow down your problem real fast. Hope that made sense.

Oh Yeah!
Last edited by Badorphan at Mar 28, 2008,
Well, I resoldered the stuff on the tone knob and no help.

I did notice something else though. When I move the guitar body away from MY body, the buzzing stops almost completely. I made sure I was touching only wood. It seems that when the guitar body is near me, there is VERY audible buzzing. I can't tell if it's when the control cavity is near me or the pickups, but the cavity is shielded by some kind of silver foil.

Could it be that the electronics just aren't shielded well? I can't be the cause of this buzzing, can I O_o?
Try sitting/standing in a different spot when you play.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Try sitting/standing in a different spot when you play.

I have tried. It was while doing this that I discovered what I mentioned in my post before this one.