I know they aren't epic or anything but atleast you get more than you pay for. I mean it's not like there the absolute worst guitars in the world like people intend on.
plus with a good effects pedal and some actual talent a squire can shock and amaze all in the area.
Last edited by Kayote Thunder at Mar 27, 2008,
The beginner Squiers I've played are garbage. The teles are slightly better than the strats but still, you can do so much better even for the same money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Squiers are good. If you're a beginner, once you know how everything should be on a guitar, the Squier kinda outdates itself.

Nothing wrong with them, I know people that still use 'em and sound 1000x better than me.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Vandals572
dood SQUIERS own
especially as a first guitar

what he said
The bad Squiers can be BAD, and I mean BAd. The good ones though are normally just a hardware and pickup swap away from being great guitars. The old Japanese ones are just plug and play; they are as good as any Fender at the time
Quote by Vandals572
dood SQUIERS own
especially as a first guitar

QFT.
I can shred better on a squier than any archtop i've ever played
(i know, completely unrelated...)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i have a squier 51(strat with tele neck and coil tap)it was the first electric i had and even after getting my epi lp i find myself playing it more then my epi,i did do a pick up swap in it but its actualy a great guitar and it was only 150 dollars so not much outta my pocket.
They're ok as a first guitar and mine still does me even after the better part of 4 years. But they're not the best guitars for the money. My mate owns a fender 52 tele and an ESP viper standard and he went out and bought a £120 no name strat. Its a fantastic guitar for the price, but even if it was £300-400 it'd still be a decent deal.

If you look about and try guitars out you can get really good guitar for very little money. But generally beginners don't know what to look for and the squier comes in a pack so it's generally more convenient to buy the squier. So while it's not a bad guitar it's not exactly a good one either.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Kayote Thunder
Yeah people agree with me awesome.

Hi Kayote Thunder!

Welcome to UG.

1 - Having people agreeing with you is NOT the purpose of a thread,unless you're 10 years old. And although there are some young teens on UG, you should aspire to fit in on a more advanced level.

2 - Threads are about presenting information and/or having intelligent discussion.

3 - Read the thread first, you big dope. Timi Hendrix disagreed with you. By saying "Yeah people agree with me awesome." You just insulted him by inferring his opinion meant nothing. That's just plain rude.

4 - Making a value judgment based on 3 opinions when 2 are on the side you tend to believe and 1 disagrees is just plain stupid. Wait for more replies before you claim "success".

5 - Better yet, completely forget about claiming success. Get something more useful, by reading the replies! If you present a topic for discussion and people take the time to write a well thought reply you OWE it to them to take the time to read their words. If you don't you're just acting like an annoying little maggot wasting space on the forum. Don't be like that. Don't get that sort of reputation. It will not serve you well.

6 - Read ALL opinions and weigh them accordingly. Then you benefit from the wisdom of the entire group. Sometimes the most accurate assessment comes from the minority, NOT from people who are just parroting the same, WRONG information.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
good job showin a lil of the ropes SomeoneYouKnew
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i got the bullet strat with trem with a spare 100 i had... i dont regret it for a second...

after shaving down the neck a little to fit my hand, setting up the trem, and intonating everything... the thing is awesome playability wise, the tone is also great because of the lace sensors i dropped into it(and it uses basswood instead of agathis)...with a good set up squiers can be awesome
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by CJRocker
The bad Squiers can be BAD, and I mean BAd. The good ones though are normally just a hardware and pickup swap away from being great guitars. The old Japanese ones are just plug and play; they are as good as any Fender at the time

+ eggnog to this. The new ones are great for projects, and for learning. They are plagued by poor setups, and they get ragged on for "not handeling distortion" (even though they are mostly SSS).

The Jap ones are bloody killer. I have a JV, it's removed allmost all desire for an American strat.

Take what I say with a grain of salt; I'll admit I'm a Squier fan.
Personally, I love Squiers. (and it drives me insane that in a thread promoting Squiers, you spelled it wrong in the title.. ) I think they are great guitars for beginners. I've had my Squier for over 3.5 years, and I haven't had ONE problem! My old Ibanez had electronic issues left and right, but my trusty Squier is a brick! I have dropped it down concrete stairs, and despite scratches, everything works fine. If it didn't get out of tune so easily, and the pickups sounded better, I would consider gigging with it, without a backup !
That's how much I love/trust Squier by Fender (keep in mind this is speaking only from the experience of my Squier. If your's has electronic issues, then oh well. I'm lucky).

Squier = awesome and trustworthy brand. You get more than you pay for.
People hate one everything not just Squiers.. I've seen rants about Real Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez's, Esp's and even 5000 dollar customs. So with that said if you like your guitar then like your guitar and dont listen to everyone else...

P.s. Squires suck
yeah sorry about that didn't mean any disrespect timi and I read all of what SomeoneYouKnew posted and learned form it. I just felt I should make a thread discussing squire's and low price guitars.
There are better guitars for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
have you ever held an american made fender? there's really no question why there is a $1000+ price difference.

i wouldn't talk down on someone because they own a squier but they really can't compare to a real fender guitar. i think the neck construction is very poor. the wood is very cheap, and it feels like a toy.
I own a squier affinity strat (And its squier not squire) and what people say about them being so terrible there wrong. Yeah the pickups arent top notch but most of them are novice guitars. And really all that squier is just japanese fender, Cheaper parts etc made by people with lower wages . Yet some people say the squier standards strat/tele/so on sound just as good as a fender strat/tele/so on. I cant really judge if they sound as good as a fender as im only a beginner and 13 nearly 14(just been playing nearly 4 months now since christmas.)

But most people who purchase them expect fender standard quality, but squier is only backed by fender not produced by fender so it isnt exactly going to be top notch plus most of the squier guitars are half the price of fenders. So if you want fender quality just go for a Fender.
The point is the squier strats, especially things like the affinity range and in a lot of cases, the standards, aren't worth what you pay and as a beginner guitar you're much better off trying the Yamaha Pacifica 112.

EDIT: Oh and I played a japanese squier the other day, it was teh sexxorz.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Last edited by PendulousThread at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
I own a squier affinity strat (And its squier not squire) and what people say about them being so terrible there wrong. Yeah the pickups arent top notch but most of them are novice guitars. And really all that squier is just japanese fender, Cheaper parts etc made by people with lower wages . Yet some people say the squier standards strat/tele/so on sound just as good as a fender strat/tele/so on. I cant really judge if they sound as good as a fender as im only a beginner and 13 nearly 14(just been playing nearly 4 months now since christmas.)

But most people who purchase them expect fender standard quality, but squier is only backed by fender not produced by fender so it isnt exactly going to be top notch plus most of the squier guitars are half the price of fenders. So if you want fender quality just go for a Fender.

note: new squiers are not made in japan... but the japanese ones are awesome nonetheless
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i put new pickups in my buddies 1980 something squier and noticed it was made from
plywood.it sounds good anyway
Great, another thread wanked over by SYK.

I've seen some pro musicians use Squiers live. Some of them are well put together pieces of kit, and some aren't.
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
the pickups arent top notch

The pickups aren't on any notch imo. And the squiers made today are not from japan, thats when it was better quality, now they are chinese which is 9/10 times lower quality stuff.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Hi Kayote Thunder!

Welcome to UG.

1 - Having people agreeing with you is NOT the purpose of a thread,unless you're 10 years old. And although there are some young teens on UG, you should aspire to fit in on a more advanced level.

2 - Threads are about presenting information and/or having intelligent discussion.

3 - Read the thread first, you big dope. Timi Hendrix disagreed with you. By saying "Yeah people agree with me awesome." You just insulted him by inferring his opinion meant nothing. That's just plain rude.

4 - Making a value judgment based on 3 opinions when 2 are on the side you tend to believe and 1 disagrees is just plain stupid. Wait for more replies before you claim "success".

5 - Better yet, completely forget about claiming success. Get something more useful, by reading the replies! If you present a topic for discussion and people take the time to write a well thought reply you OWE it to them to take the time to read their words. If you don't you're just acting like an annoying little maggot wasting space on the forum. Don't be like that. Don't get that sort of reputation. It will not serve you well.

6 - Read ALL opinions and weigh them accordingly. Then you benefit from the wisdom of the entire group. Sometimes the most accurate assessment comes from the minority, NOT from people who are just parroting the same, WRONG information.

Good luck,
SYK

Chill out, man. It's just a harmless, pointless thread.

Anyway, the thing about squiers, in my experience, is that they are really hit and miss. Some make decent guitars with some upgrades, others are nearly unplayable. The squier '51 seemed like an excellent deal, though. I wanted one for a project, but couldn't justify spending the money on it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I played one of the new Vintage Modified Strats and it was surprising.

If I had one, I wouldn't sell it.

I'd still rather have a MIM Fender though, as I would say the hardware would be a little more reliable and the pickups a bit better. (Just a guess, I may be wrong).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Squier Jagmasters are teh sex, and the Vista Series is like sex, but better.

There, deduct from that how I feel.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I guess I'll chime in here since I haven't really given any thought to my past Squire-ownership period. It was almost 3 years ago and I just got back on my feet and was renting a room in a house. I took the bus to the only music store in the area and ended up going home with a Squier (Affinity) Tele, Microcube, and accessories. I think the whole thing set me back around $350 (most of my money at the time.) But you know what ruled? I was playing guitar again after a long break. People are right, the setup on these guitars will never really feel "right" (at least in my case). The biggest problem was after 5 months the G string just went dead - totally dead regardless of string changes, etc. Never did solve this one but was able to get 2/3 of my money back in trade on it for a MIM sunburst Strat, my next guitar. Things just progressed from there. Would I be happy with that guitar now? Probably not 100%, but I'd play it over nothing. And had I not taken the bus that day and laid down the cash I may never would have gotten into playing again.

So yeah, it's definitly the "entry-level" guitar, but we all have to start somewhere.

-Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Squiers are amazing considering there price range, when I play it through my Marshall and a couple effects it has a sweet tone, ofcourse it's not a Gibson but hey it wasnt 3,000$ :P
my nephew and neices squiers are crap

mine on the other hand is the greatest most bad ass squier ever made and it seems like it`s rare as hell, i`ve owned it along time and will probly never sell it as it was my 1st guitar. heres a link to one LIKE mine. mine has Dimarrzio humbuckers in it now, and ones a breed don`t know what the bridge one is.

Mines a 89' Fender Squier HM3

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/squier/index.htm
Quote by devinb132
i have a squier 51(strat with tele neck and coil tap)it was the first electric i had and even after getting my epi lp i find myself playing it more then my epi,i did do a pick up swap in it but its actualy a great guitar and it was only 150 dollars so not much outta my pocket.

dude! same guitars!! *high five*

I consider squier a trustworthy brand..I also have a squier '51 and it's very reliable..has some minor problems here and there but it gets the job done, so i'd say it's a great guitar for begginers..and If anyones looking for a cheap guitar to mod, squier is a great choice
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

most squier are ok so they are good for the money
but VM series is awesome
better than fender MIM IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400