Alrite well here it goes. I want to dedicate a thread to all current and future Blackheart amp owners. For those who have already modded theirs to be an incredible tone machine to the ones who are still waiting for their (sadly)backordered friends to finally make it to their front steps! Discuss its tone, your likes, anticipation for future products of the Blackheart series, comparisons to other tube amps; just plain out TALK about em!! I will start this by saying that i'm incredibly psyched for mine to come home in a few weeks! I went to the guitar store again today and played on it some more. They still have it on display w/ a nice big tag that says 'SOLD' and J**** Sharpe on the 'owner" line. I walked in today and the second i did one of the salesmen goes, "Oh he's come back to play his amp some more!." I just hope they move it to the back soon so there's no possibility of some fool tripping and knocking it down, hence putting me in the same position as the buyers waiting for backorders to catch up!

ENJOY!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
do you have a problem with my thread sir? if so you do not have to partake in this.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by epiphonedrewlou
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I concour.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
alrite well when my blackheart comes home w/ me i want to swap the tubes. so i figured i'd go ahead and figure out which ones i want and order them within the next week or two.

so i need to know what the best (w/o going unreasonable price) EL84 and 12AX7 brand tubes would be to get me a really gritty raw tone. the kind of tone you'd expect from AFD album.

thanx
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
how would ya describe the tone if ya don't mind me asking?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh and how would anyone rate the Celestion GT12 speaker? i'm prolly gonna switch that w/ my randall's (since the amp is outta commission for the time being anyways) and was just wondering how good it actually is for hard rock on a scale of 1 to 10. it's 12'' 50 watt rating as far as i know. still gotta check the ohms. for some reason in my randall on the clean module, i could here some distorting when i had the clean channel up and "punchy." was hoping it was just my EQing but my bass wasn't high at all. thanx again
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
The tungsols are pretty bright and are described as "high gain" but I wouldn't really say that. They hold up well and are not prone to microphonics. The JJs are pretty dark for an EL84 but still have that "chimey" sound. The bright tungols and dark JJs sound really good together for that reason IMO. They sort of balance eachother out.
alritey then. i guess if i will prolly look into getting those. of course i hear JJs are great power tubes and heard tung sol usually recommended for preamp tubes, so it was kinda a last minute check just to see.

but i also hear that groove tubes are pretty great? or do the JJs outdo them?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well i appreciate ya givin me some advice when no one else seems to be able to. i'm assuming i'm gonna have to bias the EL84 myself once i swap it w/ the stock one aren't I....

for some reason i was thinkin you only do that for matched pairs. they don't come pre-biased do they? if not i've seen the guide online how to do it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh well that just goes to show you that i'm still a beginner with tube amps. this blackheart will only be my second ! but i hope to have a nice collection one day!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
If you don't know how, you should take it to an amp repairman for proper tube change and biasing.

By the way, I did some research and a lot of reading on it and I would also go with Tung-Sol 12AX7 and JJ EL84 tubes as upgrades.

My heart wasn't black enough to wait until at least May to get the Handsome Devil and I bought an Ampeg Jet, but I will probably get the HD later on.

If you have the Little Giant, check out the Mojo and Mercury Magnetics upgrades that are linked on the Blackheart site. They can turn your Little Giant into a Little Titan!

I'm sure they'll also come out with a Handsome devil upgrade set as well. Yummm...
Stuff I've discovered or am working on:

1. I highly recommend buying two heads/cabs, or two combos. You'll still spend
only about half as much as you would buying a big name brand amp.
The other day I replaced the stock chinese tubes with some Electro Harmonix
tubes.
Honestly not a huge tone difference, but it was in A/B-ing my retubed amp with a
stock one that I discovered how great these amps are in stereo. Granted, a lot of
things sound better in stereo, but if you're like me and you were worried about
the Little Giant's gigging abilities, the stereo setup gives you the jump in volume
and presence you need to compete with a drummer and bass player. I got curious
and plugged the two heads into a stereo marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's. The
result was very pleasing, although with only 5 watts I think the best result is
going to come from one amp into one speaker. Ultimately I want to have a single
stereo 2x12 cabinet, but you can get some really nice stereo effects (delay, chorus)
from spacing the two individual 1x12's out a couple of feet from each other.

2. Speaking of effects, this amp loves them.
I'm a big power chord chugger. Not metal chugging...think Green Day, Dookie. The
low-wattage of the amp and lack of a master volume comes into play here too. Its
got decent enough gain, and the low end actually stays fairly tight, but it can get
a little flubby. I put a tube screamer in front of it and just added a smidge of extra
boost. Wow. The low end tightened right up and you get a nice midrange boost
that cuts right through. Combine that with the stereo setup and again, very
giggable. I also tried a boss dd-6 delay and a super chorus, both in stereo. Those
effects came through very clean and sparkling. Its a very transparent amp.

3. Mods...
I bought some replacement capacitors to do a couple of mods I found on
guitarnuts.com. John Atchley is the owner of the site and he's obviously very
knowledgeable in electronics and guitar amp modding. He's got a lot of good ideas
for cleaning up the wiring to quiet the amp down, and making some very simple
capacitor and resistor changes to refine the tone of the amp. Lots of emphasis on
tightening up the low end, which as I mentioned, this amp could use. All his
suggestions involve very inexpensive parts. I got enough stuff to do the mods
on two heads for less than $25, which is a lot less than some of the kits that are
being sold.

4. The Speaker
The Blackheart 1x12 cab and combo comes with an "Eminence Designed" 75 watt
speaker. I've read several reviews expressing disappointment to outright disgust
about this speaker/cab. Frankly I don't get it. I've heard a lot worse.
To experiment I opened up the 1x12 and switched the stock speaker with a 25w
Celestion Greenback (generally my favorite guitar speaker). The idea was to get
a little cone breakup from the lower wattage speaker. I wasn't impressed. Lost
some high-mids, and the low end got too loose. It's my opinion that with this being
a low wattage amp, and thus breaking up easily, more speaker breakup isn't
neccessarily good. At least it isn't for the sound I want. I also tried a 15w Celestion
Alnico Blue. I wouldn't recommend it for all out rocking, but it did have a really
sparkling, complex tone. I liked the low end response better than with the
Greenback. Lastly I tried a Vintage 30, and I think I like it the best with the
Little Giant. Tight low end, nice classic British voicing. But, I don't think there is
really anything wrong with the stock speaker and will probably stick with them for
a while, try them in my new 2x12, and see where I'm at. Might not change them.
Quote by jmillgrip

1. I highly recommend buying two heads/cabs, or two combos. You'll still spend
only about half as much as you would buying a big name brand amp.
The other day I replaced the stock chinese tubes with some Electro Harmonix
tubes.
Honestly not a huge tone difference, but it was in A/B-ing my retubed amp with a
stock one that I discovered how great these amps are in stereo. Granted, a lot of
things sound better in stereo, but if you're like me and you were worried about
the Little Giant's gigging abilities, the stereo setup gives you the jump in volume
and presence you need to compete with a drummer and bass player. I got curious
and plugged the two heads into a stereo marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's. The
result was very pleasing, although with only 5 watts I think the best result is
going to come from one amp into one speaker. Ultimately I want to have a single
stereo 2x12 cabinet, but you can get some really nice stereo effects (delay, chorus)
from spacing the two individual 1x12's out a couple of feet from each other.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing (but with tiny terrors). Do you have any sound clips?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing (but with tiny terrors). Do you have any sound clips?

terrors would be great too. sorry don't have any sound clips.
Blackhearts are teh crate t00b amps