Page 1 of 2
So I started running 4.5 to 5.5 miles a day a week ago and doing some core exercises, and now I weigh 5 pounds more. What the hell? Is this from building muscle or should I just be more patient and disregard this?
Quote by Hannakins
Have you been eating healthily in the meantime?

why should that make a difference? he's runnin 5 fcking miles.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
It's muscle. Or you're eating 5 boxes of donuts a day.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I hate to be a downer, but you aren't going to gain five pounds of muscle in a week by mainly running. If you are working out hard, you probably won't even gain five pounds of muscle in your first week.
Quote by ortrigger

so? if you consume many more calories then you burn you're going to gain weight.
Quote by ortrigger

It definitely makes a difference!

If he's going to bother running that much and then goes home and pigs out, he basically cancels out everything he just worked for.

It's not about weight, it's about how fat you look.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Quote by Sox0690
I hate to be a downer, but you aren't going to gain five pounds of muscle in a week by mainly running. If you are working out hard, you probably won't even gain five pounds of muscle in your first week.

That's what I was thinking. I have been eating a but more that I was before, but less snacks, just more of the main meals cuz I get real hungry after. And it's not like 5 more plates, maybe like a third more.
You shouldn't weigh more from just straight up cardio. Muscle wouldn't develop like that. What have you been eating? What you eat is literally over twice as imporant as working out (unless you're working out incredibly intense for 4 hours a day every day or something).

But if you're not any bigger, you're weight really doesn't matter. And 5 pounds is nothing. You can lose that much while you're sleeping.
Nope. None at all.
Quote by iamnotrabid
That's what I was thinking. I have been eating a but more that I was before, but less snacks, just more of the main meals cuz I get real hungry after. And it's not like 5 more plates, maybe like a third more.

That's understandable, but what do your main meals consist of?

Also, depending on when you weigh yourself, you weight can vary throughout the day by five pounds or more.
Quote by HexaDakota
You shouldn't weigh more from just straight up cardio. Muscle wouldn't develop like that. What have you been eating? What you eat is literally over twice as imporant as working out (unless you're working out incredibly intense for 4 hours a day every day or something).

But if you're not any bigger, you're weight really doesn't matter. And 5 pounds is nothing. You can lose that much while you're sleeping.

Oh, cool, I was als thinking maybe I just need to take a huge crap or something, cuz it seems my weight is always fluctuating about 2 or 3 pounds now and then.
Quote by Hannakins
That's understandable, but what do your main meals consist of?

Like pasta, soup, and I had a falafel.

EDIT:Not all at once, by the way, I meant thats what I've been eating mostly.
Always weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything. Eating 5 pounds of food DOES make you gain 5 pounds of weight temporarily.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Quote by Godzillolz
Always weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything. Eating 5 pounds of food DOES make you gain 5 pounds of weight temporarily.

Oh well yeah, his morning I weighed 5 pounds less, but I'm not sure if that was yesterday morning or today.
Quote by iamnotrabid

Pfft. You should be fine.

Quote by Sox0690
Also, depending on when you weigh yourself, you weight can vary throughout the day by five pounds or more.

And this is very true.

It's because you're building muscle. The type of cardio you do determines how you build muscle and lose fat. It may be cliche, but you REALLY have to pair up exercise with eating right. 6 small meals a day will keep your metabolism up. Putting food in your stomach is like logs on a fire for your metabolism. Too much wood and the fire gets suffocated (you get FAT), too little wood and the fire dies down (loss of energy, and rapid weight gain when you eat right again), but just the right amount of food intake and you're body will burn the food turning it into energy, when it's done w/the food in your stomach, it will turn to burning fat cells. Pair that with cardio and weight training (alternating targeted areas of your body for weights, cardio daily [upper body mon wed fri, lower body tues thurs sat, off sun]) will get you to lose weight as well as pack on muscle. Men's Fitness is a WORLD of information to help you lose weight and be healthy, it just depends on if you want to utilize that info or not.
it's onyl been a week. People generally gain weight at first.
And you're (pressumably) out of shape and you've just started running 4.5-5.5 miles a day? Firstly, you need a day to rest. Secondly, you wouldn't be able to run even 4 miles if you're just getting into shape (unless you run really slow or you're not that out of shape).
Quote by iamnotrabid
So I started running 4.5 to 5.5 miles a day a week ago and doing some core exercises, and now I weigh 5 pounds more. What the hell? Is this from building muscle or should I just be more patient and disregard this?

Eh, running usually drops weight quick. If you just started running, and you're already doing 4.5 to 5.5 miles a day, you must not be in that bad shape, so maybe you're gaining muscle.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
Eh, running usually drops weight quick. If you just started running, and you're already doing 4.5 to 5.5 miles a day, you must not be in that bad shape, so maybe you're gaining muscle.

It's like my first exercise in a year or something and the people I'm running with won't slow down for me or go shorter distances so it's been tricky.

And is it true what that person said about people gaining weight before they lose it? Cuz this is like my first serious exercising to get in shape ever.
Quote by iamnotrabid
Oh well yeah, his morning I weighed 5 pounds less, but I'm not sure if that was yesterday morning or today.

I don't even know if it's possible to gain 5 pounds overnight.
Quote by Avedas
I don't even know if it's possible to gain 5 pounds overnight.

Most likely water retention.

Don't look at the scale. Do you feel better? That's the important question.

Oh and you probably make your weight fluctuate greatly with water.
Quote by ortrigger

cos then he'll just put on muscle and fat
Quote by julio1987
Don't look at the scale. Do you feel better? That's the important question.

Oh and you probably make your weight fluctuate greatly with water.

I definitely feel better, except for my ankles, they are sore, but I don't look any better. It might just be my mind but I either look the same or worse. I like the way I feel though because before I was just sitting around and I felt like I had all this excess energy. I have been drinking a lot more water though.
I can't run to the end of my road most days without collapsing into a heap. Props.

Its only been a week, stick at it.
Quote by iamnotrabid

a fellow jew? Trust me i started running over a year ago at first nothing really happens but you'll lose weight and if your around your growth spurt you'l stay the same weight but you'll thin out. Keep with the running and remember it raises your metabolism so you'll definately eat more and have higher energy levels

i commend your caring about your health

good luck
- Will
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
Quote by fenderuser93
a fellow jew? Trust me i started running over a year ago at first nothing really happens but you'll lose weight and if your around your growth spurt you'l stay the same weight but you'll thin out. Keep with the running and remember it raises your metabolism so you'll definately eat more and have higher energy levels

i commend your caring about your health

good luck
- Will

Haha, not quite a jew, but I love those falafels. And shawarmas and tawooks.
Well thatnks everyone, I was freaking out for a second, but I'll try to eat better and hopefully withiin a couplke of months I will be able to see some progress. Ask me sometime later during the summer or something if you really want to know.
Quote by metalcore123
stop going to mcdonalds for breakfast and lunch

Dude you're so ****ing sweet.
Quote by iamnotrabid

There are a lot of factors.
You should always weight yourself after going to the bathroom and before eating.
Be more patient my friend, and the results will be amazing.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
There are a lot of factors.
You should always weight yourself after going to the bathroom and before eating.
Be more patient my friend, and the results will be amazing.

Hooray, well I'm off to bed.
Quote by iamnotrabid
Hooray, well I'm off to bed.

Also:
Quote by iamnotrabid

'Nuff said. Eating Falafel and Humus is like eating at McDonalds.
Damn you. Now I want Falafel and Shawarma . Until I finally have Chorizo and Asado, I start missing Humus Falafel and Shawarma .

EDIT: And Orbit sucks . Airwaves FTMFW .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Also:

'Nuff said. Eating Falafel and Humus is like eating at McDonalds.
Damn you. Now I want Falafel and Shawarma . Until I finally have Chorizo and Asado, I start missing Humus Falafel and Shawarma .

EDIT: And Orbit sucks . Airwaves FTMFW .

FALAFELS ARE BAD FOR YOU!?!??!?!?!?!

What about just tabbouli?
Page 1 of 2