Lately I've been finding more and more technique issues when I'm playing, but they're things that I do so much, it would seem that they would correct themselves after awhile. For example, when I'm playing thumb chords, like the A major on the fifth fret, and I want to do a hammer on/pull off with my ring finger on the 6th and 7th frets of the G string (For a quick Asus4), it simply isn't as clean as it could be, but I don't know how I would make it any cleaner.

Now, another observation I'm sure you all have made is that if you're listening to a more mature player play something relatively simplistic, it simply sounds perfect.

I've played many hours a day for the past three years, but some of these little picky things just won't sort themselves out. Even the most simple things I feel could be cleaner. But I practice all the time. Is this something that just comes from years and years of playing, that really can't be accelerated? Or are there exercises I could work on to improve this more quickly? I just would've thought that after three years of dedicated guitar playing these would go away...

Thanks for the input.
its all about proper technique and going slowly at first. if you gotta go super slow to make it sound perfect then go super slow. also make careful note of ANY and ALL problem areas, isolate those and work on those alone.
If you play with distortion (which, I'm sure you do), knock your sound to clean and practice. This way, you'll easily know where you're messing up, and it'll easily help you recognize if you got it down properly.
^ +1

i love metal but all of my real practicing is done acoustically since if you can do it on an acoustic, you can do it on an electric.
I ALWAYS practice without distortion, although sometimes I have trouble with my legato runs being loud enough. But yeah, clean all the time.

It almost feels kind of like going backwards, practicing basic chords and things slowly, but I guess if that's the only way I'll have to slow down.

Thanks guys.
Quote by Ultraturtle0

I've played many hours a day for the past three years, but some of these little picky things just won't sort themselves out. Even the most simple things I feel could be cleaner. But I practice all the time. Is this something that just comes from years and years of playing, that really can't be accelerated?

I'd suggest you get the "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" and any other
material (it's all good) from www.guitarprinciples.com

"the most simple things" ARE generally where most playing problems exist and
where they are most overlooked, but you can train yourself to find them and fix
them and that generally translates into how to practice better.
people always say slowly and build up from there, which is true. but what i find better is by having no tension and building slowly from there. for example, try doing a lick, and pushing down on the string, just barely, to get the note to ring. thats how much tension is need to fret a note. now do that with excersizes and all the stuff you know. for your picking hand, dont anchor, keep relaxed and you shouldnt have any problem. this is also so you hae a less chance of an injury.
Quote by z4twenny
^ +1

i love metal but all of my real practicing is done acoustically since if you can do it on an acoustic, you can do it on an electric.

Other than that distorted electrics need better muting skills than acoustics, as on an acoustic you want sympathetic vibrations, but on an electric you do not.

I always practice with a metronome, and an unplugged electric.