I've been playing for one year (exactly one year). Last year I had much free time and could practice a lot, but this year it seems that I won't even be able to touch the guitar every day, let alone actually getting to "practice". But let's say that I can practice from Monday to Friday, 15 minutes per day, and two hours in the whole weekend. Will I actually keep improving considerably? For example, I'm practicing Sweep Picking now, will I get to do it REALLY FAST eventually even if I don't practice it that much? I'm especially talking about technique here, despite it's far from being the only thing I want as a guitarist.

So, the question is that, how much do you think practicing this little can affect my improvement in the guitar? If at some points in your life you used to practice little (please specify how little) and you can talk about how much better you got around that time, that could help a lot.

Thank you.
Will you get considerably better at things like sweeping with 15 minutes a day? Not quickly, you won't. Maybe in a year or two, you'll be decent at it.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
Will you get considerably better at things like sweeping with 15 minutes a day? Not quickly, you won't. Maybe in a year or two, you'll be decent at it.

personally i've been playing for 12 years give or take. i started practicing sweeping, i might practice 15 minutes on sweeping all week ( i do generally play/practice/jam at least an hour a day though) and im starting to get decent at sweeping. i would like to point out that i started off with 5 string sweeps and i understand 3 string sweeps are easier to start with (i like a good challenge when it comes to guitar)

the most important thing while practicing is a GOOD PRACTICE TECHNIQUE. which involves really making good use of what time you do get to practice by:

1 -starting slowly, as slow as you need to be to play cleanly
2 -being incredibly mindful of every nuance of your technique
3 -isolating problem areas and working directly on those as needed
4 -playing AS TENSION FREE AS POSSIBLE or WITH NO TENSION AT ALL

the last one is caps'ed because yes, it is THAT important.
^ honestly, learning to play without tension should be the first thing you should do. if you play without tension its SO much easier to pay attention to the other things you mention and change them. also oftentimes problems in the areas you mention are hampered by tension and playing with less/no tension will correct these problems (maybe not ENTIRELY but it will have an amazing impact on them)

once you get used to playing with little/no tension you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way. i had been playing for 10 or 11 years when i decided to rework my technique, i had to start all over but with the experience i had playing it only took a little time to get back up to speed.
Quote by Galvanise69
E------5--------------
B---5-----------------
G-5-------------------

Cmaj6 sweep

More like Am 2nd inversion
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by z4twenny
personally i've been playing for 12 years give or take. i started practicing sweeping, i might practice 15 minutes on sweeping all week ( i do generally play/practice/jam at least an hour a day though) and im starting to get decent at sweeping. i would like to point out that i started off with 5 string sweeps and i understand 3 string sweeps are easier to start with (i like a good challenge when it comes to guitar)

+1. So did I. I still find them to be more fluid, faster, cleaner, and easier.