Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Eastwood Ultra GP
beat up 1960's Gibson LGO acoustic
Quote by dennys 4 lif3
the body is actually routed for a humbucker underneath the pickguard

+1

Unless theres the rare chance it isn't, you can buy a Humbucker in the size of a single coil, such as the Duncan Hot Rails
It would be a real waste of a strat, in my opinion, but I'm sure it could be done.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
you could alternatively get a stacked humbucker..which is a humbucker in single coil size..doesn't sound exactly like a humbucker but its pretty close
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
yea you could just get a single coil sized humbucker and put it it. my friend did that actually. its not quite the same as a regular one though. but its a good option besides cutting up you pickgaurd or possibly routing your guitar for one(if it isnt already). but personally, i wouldnt do it. first, i think a HSS setup is kinda strange. i think a HSH is a better one. but thats just my opinion. and second, i think a strat should probably stay as a SSS. but again, just my opnion.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
yea you could just get a single coil sized humbucker and put it it. my friend did that actually. its not quite the same as a regular one though. but its a good option besides cutting up you pickgaurd or possibly routing your guitar for one(if it isnt already). but personally, i wouldnt do it. first, i think a HSS setup is kinda strange. i think a HSH is a better one. but thats just my opinion. and second, i think a strat should probably stay as a SSS. but again, just my opnion.

Is an HSH possible on a Strat?
most fenders are already routed for HSH. take off your pickguard and look
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
my fender was routed hsh already even though it was sss you can just switch pickguards the pickups are held in the pickguard so if you can solder good and you familarize yourself with wiring a strat, you can just replace pickguards and pickup combinations when you feel like
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
To make it oh so much easier for you, why not get a pre-wired HSS pick guard off of ebay?
I suppose I could...I'm not saying I'll even go ahead with changing my pup configuration yet; I might just add one or two SC sized buckers and be done with it, but if I do add real humbuckers, I will take your advice.
there's single coil sized 'buckers?
Never seen 'em before..

You could always try getting a humbucker with coil tapping if you want the whole Single coil sound still.
Quote by RPGoof
+1

Unless theres the rare chance it isn't, you can buy a Humbucker in the size of a single coil, such as the Duncan Hot Rails

thats what I was thinking.

Or you could just sell your single coil guitar and buy a bucking one!
why dont you just get another guitar?
thats what i did.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by haz_uk

Great pickup, highly recommended by me.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by haz_uk

thats the Telecaster version. Youll need this for a strat http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300

to answer yes you can definatly play metal with one of those in it. There was this thrash band (merciless death??) where the guitarist had a strat with a stacked bucker.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
My Strat has an HSH configuraiton. I still have the middle single coil for the twangy strat sounds. If you don't wan't to loose the classic strat neck sound, you go HSS. It's a great way to go as the guitar will be more versatile and will easily get you into metal territory.

imo btw ... is that yes - seymour dunc makes hot rails that should fit perfectly for scoil slot.
take your pick guard off and you will see how much room you have. yep
most new Fenders now have the *swimming pool* space for Pups (finally)
...but do not buy HBs for neck and/or mid unless you feel you really need to.
I almost got a Fender HH but I'm glad i did not. Not sure about a HSH combo (gell-us)
there are threads that talk about this and you can find wiring info on seymourduncan dot com and UG yo
but again i'm still torn on what to do with my stock HBs...amp improvements are better yo
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
^ That's sweet, what buckers are those?

It has a Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. I wanted the PAF Pro in the neck as I play alot of lead using the neck and I wanted a smooth and full tone there.

The decision between HSS and HSH is easy really. Go for HSS if you wanted to enter the heavier territory and play your rhythm and leads using the bridge. This way you still retain the 2 single coils for the classic strat sounds. Go for HSH if you think you will be doing some lead work using the neck position as well and want a fuller fatter sound. You still have the middle single coil for twangy strat sounds.

Hope this helps

EDIT - To the guy that mentions hot rails, I have a strat with hot rails in neck and bridge. They sound very good with alot of gain and distoriton. Not the best pickups in the world though for clean stuff. You could just put a hot rails in your bridge. That way you wont need to get a new pick guard as it just fit into a single coil space and you'll have an instant heavy sound.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Mar 29, 2008,
Well i though about getting a HB for my strat as well.. but will full HBs give a big sound like a gibson? or?? also, how much is new pickguards? and can you get 8 holes pickguards (my fender strat is a 50's reissue with 8 screws..
Quote by Dudage
It would be a real waste of a strat, in my opinion, but I'm sure it could be done.

+1

strats should be SSS, it´s just the right thing
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
^ don't be an idiot. he says he wants it to handle some metal, so it's unlikely he's going to care if it lets him get closer to metal. whacking a humbucker into his strat didn't exactly hold eddie van halen back, did it?

first thing you should do is take off the pickguard to see what your guitar is routed for. if it's routed for a humbucker at the bridge, i'd stick a full size humbucker in there. i haven't tried every single coil-sized humbucker on the market, but i've been decidedly underwhelmed by those i have tried, they sounded like neither a single coil nor a full-size 'bucker. i'd only put in a single coil-sized humbucker if your guitar wasn't routed for a humbucker, to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
Well i though about getting a HB for my strat as well.. but will full HBs give a big sound like a gibson? or?? also, how much is new pickguards? and can you get 8 holes pickguards (my fender strat is a 50's reissue with 8 screws..

it won't sound exactly like a gibson, but it will get you closer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay.. but to find out if my guitar is able to have a HB i need to take my pickguard off.. my only worry is: won't that **** up the whole setup with string hight and things like that(having to take off all the strings at once)? (not that it is the worlds largest issue i can work it out but..)
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
okay.. but to find out if my guitar is able to have a HB i need to take my pickguard off.. my only worry is: won't that **** up the whole setup with string hight and things like that(having to take off all the strings at once)? (not that it is the worlds largest issue i can work it out but..)

do you need to take the strings off? just loosen the screws on the pickguard slightly so you can lift it very slightly to see under it. use a torch or something to let you see under it more easily.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2