I'm looking to switch out the stock pickups in my Ibanez RG321 (mahogany body) with some active EMGs. However, my RG has a 5-way switch and I read on the EMG website that their pickups won't work with it. Is this true? If so, how hard will it be to put in a new 3-way switch? or should I just opt for a passive alternative like a Dimarzio X2N?
3 way switch is cheap, easy to install too, prolly have to do some soldering, but thats easily done

EMG's are soo worth it, once u play 'em you just cant go back, everything else seems to just suck
Quote by Mary Just
EMG's are soo worth it, once u play 'em you just cant go back, everything else seems to just suck

unless of course, if you have a working set of ears, in which case look at passives for a while.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Quote by AUSTINZOR
unless of course, if you have a working set of ears, in which case look at passives for a while.

+1
EMGs are overrated man

edit; you've got an awesome guitar there as it is. don't ruin it. what makes you want to change the pickups anyway?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by AUSTINZOR

unless you play anything within the metal genre
i use an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck and i love them

i solely play metal thats what these pickups are designed for and they deliver

and you are so lucky to own a 5150 ive spent the last year looking for the head without a ridiculous "vintage" price tag
TS, what music do you play, and what amp do you have?

To answer your question, the 3 way switch should be easy to put in.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Mary Just

In your opinion anyway.

I'd say go for the DiMarzio.
yeah i upgraded one of my guitars to EMG 81's and it doesnt sound that great at all. I much prefer the stock sounds of my V7/8 pickups in my Ibanez prestige. Depends what u want though some ppl love them. IMO the sound is too on/off with little in between
RG's & Mesa's
EMG are good for metal. If you're not into metal there are much better pickups around.
Quote by the agony scene
unless you play anything within the metal genre
i use an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck and i love them

i solely play metal thats what these pickups are designed for and they deliver

ANd you, like your pickups, have no versatility whatsoever. If you were smart, you'd look into some more versatile pickups choices (Duncan Super Distortion (n) and '59 PAF (b) come to mind)
Quote by smokin_joe
ANd you, like your pickups, have no versatility whatsoever. If you were smart, you'd look into some more versatile pickups choices (Duncan Super Distortion (n) and '59 PAF (b) come to mind)

chances are if he has an Ibanez RG [muffles ibanez hate] your going to probably play metal. and in that case EMGs are the ****, cleans actually dont sound that bad on them. In fact i think they sound better than dimarzios on clean.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
In the end it'd all about the individual's taste. Go try the things out...
EMGs are good for a certain metal tone. You cant get that tone with passives. You cant get alot of the tones passives make out of actives either.

listen to some people on youtube and youll get waht I mean
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Fuzzbox91
chances are if he has an Ibanez RG [muffles ibanez hate] your going to probably play metal.

you ignorant son of a biotch
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I have a 321 with EMG's installed. Do it, you wont be dissapointed
Quote by AUSTINZOR

I have a working set of ears and I use EMGs.. They sound great for what I use them for, and they sound great for hundreds of bands I listen to. So just because your opinion doesn't match the threadstarters, doesn't mean you have to be a complete asshole.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I play death metal and thrash. I thought EMG's were the **** for a long time when I got my LTD, but just recently I've grown tired of their sound and started wishing I had a set of duncans. EMG's are too gainy and noisy, even for my type of music. maybe it's just because I have a SS amp though.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I wish people had to take an intellegence test to post here.

First of all, tone is subjective. Shut the fuck up.

Second of all, if all you play is metal, why would you need any versatility at all?

Third, EMGs are made for a high gain sound. Lots of players tones that people are looking up to today are created with EMGs, so a duncan wont really fit the bill, huh.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
I wish people had to take an intellegence test to post here.

First of all, tone is subjective. Shut the fuck up.

Second of all, if all you play is metal, why would you need any versatility at all?

Third, EMGs are made for a high gain sound. Lots of players tones that people are looking up to today are created with EMGs, so a duncan wont really fit the bill, huh.

haha, you're saying other people are stupid when you just made the generalization that there is no versatility in tone when it comes to metal?
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
haha, you're saying other people are stupid when you just made the generalization that there is no versatility in tone when it comes to metal?

He meant that if the TS is solely playing metal, then his pickups won't need to be "versatile" in terms of being able to play other genres.

In that respect, I agree. If this guitar is a one-trick pony, by all means, slap in what many consider to be the quintessential metal pickup (EMG). Otherwise, another option may be in order.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by mazohysthoney

i don't think he meant versatility in tone so much as the ability for a certain pickup to work just as well for high gain metal as it would for soft clean blues.

To be perfectly honest though I'm getting a bit sick of the attitude in threads like these where the general opinion is that active pickups can only do metal and that just isn't true.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
tommyt has a point but back to the matter of the question of the EMG's I personally think its a good move. I don't own a guitar with EMG's but my friend has a jackson he put EMG's in and it sounds mindblowing.
DISTRACTION
I do play mostly metal, which is why I was looking into the EMGs for their "quintessetial" metal tone as DrNick put it. But it looks like I will have to do a lot more work with my electronics (switches, pots, batteries, etc.) because i'd be switching from passive to active pickups. Do you guys think I can do this on my own? should i take it to a tech? or should i just opt for passives even though i would prefer the EMG sound? i appreciate all of the feedback i've gotten in such a short time.
If you have the money, don't do something you don't want to do.. Go for a 81/60 set.. The 60 has great cleans.

If you have never soldered before I recommend taking to a tech or learning to solder before trying to put the pickups on.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

EMGs are great, for metal distortion only. They are not in any means versatile and they suck for cleans, so watch out.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
EMGs are great, for metal distortion only. They are not in any means versatile and they suck for cleans, so watch out.

wrong, sorry, next ignorant statement please.

TS, if you don't have an experience with soldering and wiring i'd get someone else to it, i got a friend to do my les paul because i wasn't sure enough to do it myself.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Mar 28, 2008,
just to add to the 'EMG's suck at cleans' argument.

you do realise that David Gilmour is one of the more famous users of EMG pickups.

thats not to say that they're suddenly fantastic at everything, but theres alot more to tone then the pickup
yeah, the 81/85 set actually has rather nice cleans. I'd say the others like 60 and 89 probably have even better cleans too.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by breakstuff

They're reasonably versatile, they just don't sound 'vintage'. Vintage is over-rated.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I've got an ibanez RG320PG which is pretty much the same as your 321mh except for the tremolo and I don't get why you're so desperate to change the pickups, my guitar *should* have the same as yours, Inf 3 and 4.

Anyways I personally think that there are plenty of passive pickups out there which can give you a good metal tone, espescially if you look at all teh different seymour duncan pickups, and as for actives why don't you try some seymour duncan blackout 2's?

edit: typo
Quote by Fuzzbox91
chances are if he has an Ibanez RG [muffles ibanez hate] your going to probably play metal. and in that case EMGs are the ****, cleans actually dont sound that bad on them. In fact i think they sound better than dimarzios on clean.

i play a lot of jazz and alternate on my rg's
Quote by smokin_joe

if i choose to play SOLELY metal remind me again why i would need versatility ?
and for your information your an idiot the 85s cleans are good when the volume on the pickup is lowered
uninformed opinions just confuse people