ok i've got a few expensive guitars, and been playing like 2 years but relised today i dont have a clue how to tell if my guitar needs to setup agian i feel like an idoit. how do you tell?
Quote by cheese345
ok i've got a few expensive guitars, and been playing like 2 years but relised today i dont have a clue how to tell if my guitar needs to setup agian i feel like an idoit. how do you tell?

Is the string action too high? Is your intonation off, i.e. if you played notes at the 12th fret and compared them to the open string does it sound _off_ or when you play it with a tuner does the note read to be flat or sharp? Are you getting any fret buzz?

These are just some of the things that could warrant a setup.
^ Indeed.

It could also be easy to see things like the string is farther away from the fretboard as you go higher on the neck, etc.
ಥ_ಥ
Yes. Setup adjusts action and intonation. Might be simple, might be tricky (changing gauges on a floyd rose system can be tricky), might require shaping the nut, adjusting the bridge saddle(s), changing neck relief by turning the truss rod, shimming (bolt-on) necks to change the angle to the body, dressing the frets, changing pickup height, etc.

A good professional setup can be the difference between a guitar that's really miserable to play, and a cream puff so easy it's like cheating.