Basically I have been thinking about getting some new PU's for my MIM J Bass.

Here is the criteria:
- Single coil
- Bridge & neck
- Made for that classic low, growling tone
- Passive
- Hopefully hum-reducing
- Not a waste of money
- Price is not an issue (the most expensive sets I have seen cost ~$150, which is just fine)

What would you recommend? Fender Custom, Basslines?

Also, I know the amp speech, but lets just talk about PU's here (if I need a new one, I will get one... but it isn;t on my list of things to do right now).
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by Mutant Corn
DiMarzio all the way for that tone.

Hmm...

Ultrajazz or normal J set?
Also, what do preamps and coil-taps do?

I will have a killswitch and a new pickguard installed with the pickups... so if these mods are good I might as well have them done as well.
A coil tap does nothing for a J pickup. What it does is disable one coil of a humbucker, effectively making it a single coil, which a J pickup already is.

In addition to boosting the signal, preamps are usually bass-boost circuits, or less often 2 or 3 band eq's. Sometimes they're just signal boosters. Can you show me the preamp you're looking at?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
A coil tap does nothing for a J pickup. What it does is disable one coil of a humbucker, effectively making it a single coil, which a J pickup already is.

In addition to boosting the signal, preamps are usually bass-boost circuits, or less often 2 or 3 band eq's. Sometimes they're just signal boosters. Can you show me the preamp you're looking at?

Probably one of the Preamps from http://www.bestbassgear.com.

I honestly have just heard about them last week.
Most of those are 3-band equalisers, with bass/mid/treble knobs. It's similar to the preamp on your amplifier.

Basically, you will have more control of yuor sound and your bass will be louder. A lot of people don't like active sounds...but it really depends on which preamp. I'd try out some active basses in a music store before you do that.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Most of those are 3-band equalisers, with bass/mid/treble knobs. It's similar to the preamp on your amplifier.

Basically, you will have more control of yuor sound and your bass will be louder. A lot of people don't like active sounds...but it really depends on which preamp. I'd try out some active basses in a music store before you do that.

So it is a big decision to put a preamp in then?
It will really change your sound, yes. I mean you can always take it back out...but those thing are expensive.
Nope, no sig here.
seymour duncan vintage set (make sure they are not the hot ones.) Sound so nice, smooth and have a good thump to them
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I wouldn't say DiMarzio for that oldschool sound at all... I would say get the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless ones. They're that classic Fender sound but wih an extra coil to cancel hum.

I have those....they're fantastic. Although I also have and East J-Retro Pre-amp which helps ten fold
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
not to jack the thread, but im doing the same thing. Im leaning toward SCN's, but also what do you guys think of bartolini pickups? what kind of sound will those give me?
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
For pickups I'm a big fan of Nordstrand and for pre-amps I really like the East J-Retro and Aguilar OBP. There are many other companies that make great pickups and pre-amps though. Try to search for sound clips of different pickups.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Mutant Corn

No, a coil tap is when you use less of a single coil's windings.

Coil split is what you're talking about.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by aixelsydevahi
For pickups I'm a big fan of Nordstrand and for pre-amps I really like the East J-Retro and Aguilar OBP. There are many other companies that make great pickups and pre-amps though. Try to search for sound clips of different pickups.

+1 Nordy pickups are the best things ever, and I'm a massive fan of those Aguilar preamp!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Hmm... would those more 'vintage'-sounding pickups be able to handle more jazzy runs and fills that (with the right amp) can literally make the audience loose their footing?
Well... vintage brings to the mind jazz as jazz is vintage no? I assume (and I think most others as well) that by vintage you meant that kind of organic sound; very natural, that kind of thing. I'm sure most of the pickups in here will achieve that. Except for DiMarzio maybe, not that I know much about them.
Hmmm. In this situation, I would say SCN's or MEC's.

MEC are my favourite pickups, by far, so have a look.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by ryenzio1
not to jack the thread, but im doing the same thing. Im leaning toward SCN's, but also what do you guys think of bartolini pickups? what kind of sound will those give me?

Bartolini's will give you a super, super, super clean sound. It will still have the vintage feel, but not the vintage grit. They're great pickups (especially the noiseless ones) and I highly recommend them. But if you're looking for that vintage grit, Fender SCNs are pretty nice, but Lindly Fralin's are amazing (but in the same price range as Bartolini's)
Lindy Fralins or Nordstrands. They pwn most other Jazz replacement pickups out there. EMG's are fine for metal, rock, etc. but for true phatness, I'd go with the Fralins.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I wouldn't say DiMarzio for that oldschool sound at all... I would say get the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless ones. They're that classic Fender sound but wih an extra coil to cancel hum.

Actually, the pickups on my teacher's '73 P-Bass died the other week and he got them replaced with some DiMarzios and they sound fantastic! He's got some flatwounds on there and it gives a real nice fat, classic sound.

I agree with Lindy Fralins though, they make some amazing pickups.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by RockDJ
Also, what do preamps and coil-taps do?

I will have a killswitch and a new pickguard installed with the pickups... so if these mods are good I might as well have them done as well.

Killswitch?
It's a bass not a guitar.
Killswitchs sound pretty horrible with basses.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by indie-bassist
Actually, the pickups on my teacher's '73 P-Bass died the other week and he got them replaced with some DiMarzios and they sound fantastic! He's got some flatwounds on there and it gives a real nice fat, classic sound.

I agree with Lindy Fralins though, they make some amazing pickups.

Really? I've always thought of DiMarzio as modern and sterile, but maybe I'm thinking of EMG.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Really? I've always thought of DiMarzio as modern and sterile, but maybe I'm thinking of EMG.

So had I until I played his P-Bass the other week, when he told me they were DiMarzios I was like .
Quote by Bumper

Har har no

Quote by Bumper

Quote by Woogles
Killswitch?

I see a lot more Basses with killswitches to be honest with you.
Quote by Woogles
Killswitch?

You know what a kill switch does right? It just silences the bass for how ever long the switch is thrown.
Ok guys, I asked Billy Sheehan what he thought were "good pickups that could handle a growling, room-shaking tone." And he replied with this.

Hmm, for one that seems to be a + for the Dimarzio list... and two, Billy Sheehan is awesome
Thing is, Billy has an endorsement deal with DiMarzio. He's not going to keep that for very long if he says other pickups are better.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Thing is, Billy has an endorsement deal with DiMarzio. He's not going to keep that for very long if he says other pickups are better.

I understand.

So, Nordstrand pickups are supposed to be good right? Any specific models? I hear the NJ4SE line are supposed to have a really strong low-end.

Also, what about Lindy Fralins pickups? The split-Jazz replacements look interesting.

Also, just curious, 'hard strings' give a brighter tone while 'soft strings' give a much warmer tone... correct?
Quote by Woogles
Killswitch?

Killswitches all make the same sound.... silence!!
Nordstrands for sure. Best tone for vintage I have found so far, especially the NJ4SV's. Will cost about 230 bucks but its worth it. I am going to get a pair for my jazz bass.

Simon Merrick has a pair and it sounds great. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lejrdb2GEVw
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Quote by ele1122
...Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders?

Aren't those for PBasses?