Quote by Ibanez Junkie
no

uhh sorry man. Youll need the pickups (Bill Lawrence or Dimebucker), youll need a very high gain (preferably solid state because dime used them in the pantera days) amplifier and pedal. Dimebag used different strings for different albums, some he used low gauge, some he used higher gauge strings.

You could try, but really a dean would help you get there quicker. My dean and randall are the perfect dimebag combo.
In all due seriousness, the way dime would do those super high harmonics is he would use his Floyd Rose trem(which a Les Paul does not have) to slack the strings, then he would hit a harmonic and raise the pitch back up. This technique is difficult, and requires a Floyd. But the kind of string you use has nothing to do with it.
Quote by Ibanez Junkie
In all due seriousness, the way dime would do those super high harmonics is he would use his Floyd Rose trem(which a Les Paul does not have) to slack the strings, then he would hit a harmonic and raise the pitch back up. This technique is difficult, and requires a Floyd. But the kind of string you use has nothing to do with it.

Ohh youre talking about dime squeals. Theyre not hard at all, I use natural harmonics for those. They work as good as hitting a pinched and raising it.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

uhh sorry man. Youll need the pickups (Bill Lawrence or Dimebucker), youll need a very high gain (preferably solid state because dime used them in the pantera days) amplifier and pedal. Dimebag used different strings for different albums, some he used low gauge, some he used higher gauge strings.

You could try, but really a dean would help you get there quicker. My dean and randall are the perfect dimebag combo.

I gave up on you after I read that.

I had one of my own and played through it and wanted to kill myself.
My old Ibanez INF1 was better than that.

I'm not being a hater on it out of bandwagon...I personally owned one.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Ohh youre talking about dime squeals. Theyre not hard at all, I use natural harmonics for those. They work as good as hitting a pinched and raising it.

Isn't that all he used to do them anyway??
^Yeah, there's no other way... Good luck catching a pinch harmonic when bringing the Floyd back up.

...I guess you could do a tap harmonic, but that's natural too.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
I gave up on you after I read that.

I had one of my own and played through it and wanted to kill myself.
My old Ibanez INF1 was better than that.

I'm not being a hater on it out of bandwagon...I personally owned one.

I wont start anything with you... to each his own opinion

you COULD catch and raise a pinch with a floyd.. but its ridiculously hard. I can barely get the hang of it
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
you COULD catch and raise a pinch with a floyd.. but its ridiculously hard. I can barely get the hang of it

Huh? I must know- how do you pinch on a fully slackened string?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Huh? I must know- how do you pinch on a fully slackened string?

Well, on a FULLY slackened string, that's impossible, there's not enough tension for any adequate vibration to ring through.

On a near fully slackened string, you can get a harmonic, but it's VERY hard to hit the right spot seeing as the vibration will have to be JUST right to get it to sustain.
No one string is "better" for doing harmonics.. its your technique
Quote by J rock

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by J rock

That's the smartest thing I've ever seen an 08er say. Good Job!
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
theres a video on youtube titled something like dimebag squeal lessons
Quote by J rock

Or pickup... or guitar amp. They influence it slightly, but it comes down to your technique.

EDIT: Part of why Dime could get those squeels also had something to do with it's not hard at all when you have Gibson-scale guitar that's tuned down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU

Dime teaching his squeals.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Get some DR strings and a Floyd Rose and you will be doin that ****...just practice, its not all bout the strings
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

I agree with the high gain, but you think the equipment is what made the player?

Work on technique first.
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10