If i where to record a solid note (from a midi file?) whilst also recording my guitar, the midi file loud enough to drown out excess noise and my guitar just above that, could I then find and remove the tone and anything beneath that volume/frequency and keep my guitar with a relativly silent background?
I'm using an IBook G4 with either audacity, garageband or Wiretap pro, i'm using an Acoustic guitar and there is no input on the my mac, so that rules out plugging in directly.
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
It's worth a try. That will either work out perfectly, or take out a big part of the guitar's sound. I think it will be the later.
wow thats so technical. to reduce noise on my acoustic recordings i wrap my mic in gum wrappers. works like a charm
Unfortunatley I believe that will be the case ;o;
Problem is I don't know how to get the note and I don't know how to take the noise out afterward lol
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Aah,
this was a part of assignment i had to do when i was studying sound engineering and production.
I had to remove white noise like hiss and a lower frequency buzz from a track without damaging the quality of the track much.

What you do is you pick out just the "noise" from the track.
You copy it and phase invert it. or you don't really need to phase invert it but i guess its better if you phase invert it.
Now you zoom into your track on your sequencer (like ProTools, Cubase) to a level where you can see the waveform of the track quite clearly.
Then you open a new track alongside it and paste the phase-inverted "noise" track in such a way that its exactly in the opposite phase as the original track. This is very important to get it in exactly the opposite phase. If they're in the same phase, the noise will become louder than quiter!
Now you paste this throughout the track and then play the track and mix the level of the phase-inverted noise track till you can't hear the noise anymore.
Whats happening at this point is that the amplitude of the phase-inverted noise track is exactly the same as the amplitude of the noise in the original track. Because the two tracks are perfectly in opposite phases, they both cancel eachother out, canceling out the noise completely and leaving you with just the instruments.
This works quite amazingly well. You'ld be surprised how clear the track becomes once you get this right.

Though it is quite a painstaking job to do and you'll hafta make sure the tracks stay in opposite phase throughout the entire track and not end up amplyfiing the noise halfway through the trck even more instead of canceling it out (this happens quite often, you'll hafta get to that part of the track and then arrange the two tracks in opposite phase again without disturbing the parts that are fine).
This is the most efficient way of removing almost 100% of the noise from the track without influencing the quality of the other instruments in the track.
Many plugins have simplified the process fragile mentioned to the point that all you need is a sample of the noise, and you can select how much reduction you want (too much and it'd affect the sound).
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Many plugins have simplified the process fragile mentioned to the point that all you need is a sample of the noise, and you can select how much reduction you want (too much and it'd affect the sound).

Plug-ins won't completely remove the noise.
and too much of it will effect the sound.

The method i mentioned will not effect the sound in any way and will completely remove the noise.
It is a painstaking process but is very efficient.

And most noise reducers work on pretty much the same principle as the process i mentioned there.
Short answer? It would probably get rid of the noise (you'd reverse the phase of the midi note then overlay it with the original, and that would isolate the nosie, right? someone correct me here :S).

The only trouble is that when you hit a note on a guitar, it produces many frequencies- the fundamental frequency (i.e. the actual note), which is the loudest, and also many other frequencies called overtones, or harmonics. These harmonics are what give an instrument it's own unique sound (they vary between intruments).

A note from a midi file would be (to my knowledge- correct me here aswell if I'm wrong :P) a single frequency... in other words, if you over did it, instead of having a guitar with it's own sound, you'd end up with the one frequency, which would (i guess) make it sound kinda lifeless

Sorry that was kinda complex lol :S. I'd guess that it'd work to an extent, but if you went over the top with it it might make it sound like guitar pro :P
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
Quote by af_the_fragile
Plug-ins won't completely remove the noise.
and too much of it will effect the sound.

The method i mentioned will not effect the sound in any way and will completely remove the noise.
It is a painstaking process but is very efficient.

And most noise reducers work on pretty much the same principle as the process i mentioned there.

I was saying that the de-essing/noise reducing plugins essentially perform the same process.
I've been told that noise reduction plug-ins tend to be a bit **** unless you have really good software, I tried the audacity one and it was awful, I could get rid of the noise but it screwed up the guitar and the silent bits had a really weird noise...like something from a star trek computer console or something lol.

@The gum wrapper comment: The mic i use is internal so i can't wrap it something, unless i wrap the entire laptop in gum wrappers lol
Quote by Flying Couch

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist