Hey, this is my first post...I'v been playing for a week today, and i absolutely love it. i play my buddie's electric (it says brownsville but iv never heard of brownsville guitars) since he got it but never really played it. Anyway i have a few questions...

1) What are barre chords?
2) what is a capo?
3) What are scales and what do they do?
4) I know my A, G, C, E, D and F major chords, and i want to learn most if not all my chords first, but i cant switch between them very fast at all and i want to be able to switch between them perfectly before i learn any more....is there anything i can do or practice to help me with this?

thanks
Last edited by jay221 at Mar 28, 2008,
barred chords are chords that make you use one finger, usually your index to bar an entire fret and your other fingers are placed on other frets near.

a capo is an accessory that is locked onto the neck/fretboard so that the fret that the capo is on is the sound you get when played open.

if youve been playing for a week and you KNOW the chords, just keep practicing. thats impressive as it is.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Ok, here I go....

1. A Barre Chord is a chord that you build around using your first finger to "Bar" across the neck, you may be doing this for your F Major already. These are awesome because you can move them all over the neck, Barre G major is the same as A and D, just on a different root note, but be sure to learn your 5th and 6th string barre chords, then you start learning more advanced chords and how to construct chords so changes are easier.
2. A capo is a clamp you put on the neck to allow you to play open chords in a different key
3. Playing chords faster, or faster in general is all a matter or practice, and (more importantly) relaxing yourself as you play. If you don't start relaxing now, and practice proper technique (thumb behind neckboard, etc.) you're just building bad habits, then you'll end up like me! Be sure to practice your chord muting techniques while you're at it!

-Best of Luck
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Since it has not been answered, Scales are basically what you would use to play lead, or come up with a riff in a certain key. I would suggest just focusing on chords for now, and once you have learned all the common ones, start looking at scales. Also, try the pentatonic scales first. Try this site when your ready for them...
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
1) What are barre chords? - barre chords are chords that have a barre in them for example you bar every string on the fifth fret then finger G string 6th fret and finger 7th fret D and A strings you are playing the A barre chord barre chords are used to play a chord in different octaves

2) what is a capo? - a capo acts as a nut and basically allows you to adjust your tuning without touching the keys

3) What are scales and what do they do? - scales are a order of notes in order of pitch (lowest to highest or highest to lowest if playing the scale backwards) they are used for all sorts of things but mostly for solos

4) I know my A, G, C, E, D and F major chords, and i want to learn most if not all my chords first, but i cant switch between them very fast at all and i want to be able to switch between them perfectly before i learn any more....is there anything i can do or practice to help me with this?

- practice thats how you get good at everything guitar is no exception but to help you pick the chords that are giving you the most trouble and then play that chord 4 times then switch to the chord that is second hardest to you play it four times then swap back play the hardest chord 4 times again then swap to the third hardest four times then back keep repeating this pattern in order from hardest to easiest once you have done that move to the second hardest chord as the starting chord and replace the second chord in the pattern with the hardest keep doing this until you have played all the chords and used all the patterns replacing chords when needed
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I find it funny that you used the INTERNET to come here and post, but you didnt bother to use the INTERNET to look up any of those questions on google or Wiki or something like that.

No biggie. Just found it...odd...
www.justinguitar.com

it explains question 1, 3, and 4
just go to The Basics and Beginner's Course on the left.

I'm not sure if it explains Capo, cuz I haven't gotten to that part yet, it might though.
Take a look.

also, he has this "1 minute changes" exercise to enhance ur ability to change between chords
its great
u can find it on the pages stated above

best of luck!
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.