Right now I have a Ibanez Sr490, it contains a P/J pickup configuration. I believe the pickups on the bass right now are DXP and DXJ pickups. I want to upgrade the pickups so my question is. What are some good pickups out there that will give me a nice growly, mid ranged sound. I only use the J pickup on my bass right, do they sell just a J pickup alone or will I need to buy a set?. I'm not needing to worry about cost so present me with anything.

Thanks.....
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
What amp do you currently have?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by CNC-Digity
there that will give me a nice growly, mid ranged sound. I only use the J pickup on my bass right, do they sell just a J pickup alone?

Thanks.....

If you want a nice growly, mid ranged sound why don't you switch to the p pickup? You've been using either the wrong pickup or gave us the wrong description of your expected tone

Jazz=punchy with high end sparkle and rounded lows, p-bass= growly with throaty midrange.

If you really want that midrange go for a basslines quarter pounder p bass pup, it has really high output for a passive pup, is a little more dynamic than a fender stock p-bass pup ( don't know about ibanez) but still sounds like a proper p-bass pup.
Quote by Funkbass796
What amp do you currently have?

I have a Nemesis 2x12, 320 watts.

Also to everyone else, my bass contains active pickups. Would I have to purchase active pickups to go along with the preamp on my bass?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you want a nice growly, mid ranged sound why don't you switch to the p pickup? You've been using either the wrong pickup or gave us the wrong description of your expected tone

Jazz=punchy with high end sparkle and rounded lows, p-bass= growly with throaty midrange.

If you really want that midrange go for a basslines quarter pounder p bass pup, it has really high output for a passive pup, is a little more dynamic than a fender stock p-bass pup ( don't know about ibanez) but still sounds like a proper p-bass pup.

I find when I use the P pickup I just get more of a bassier tone, not so much growly or punchier.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I could be wrong, but within a bass playing context I take growly and punchy to mean two different things. Most passive jazz pups are definately lacking in midrange IMO.

You're active bass may have some issues with equing that complicate the frequency issue. Are your actual pups active or do you just have passive pups wired to an active preamp?

edit* you replace the pups with their respective type, active with active, passive with passive.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I could be wrong, but within a bass playing context I take growly and punchy to mean two different things. Most passive jazz pups are definately lacking in midrange IMO.

You're active bass may have some issues with equing that complicate the frequency issue. Are your actual pups active or do you just have passive pups wired to an active preamp?

edit* you replace the pups with their respective type, active with active, passive with passive.

I thought that having the battery ment that both pickups and preamp were active, am I safe in assuming that that is not true?

Is there an easy way for me to figure this out?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Last edited by CNC-Digity at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by CNC-Digity
I thought that having the battery ment that both pickups and preamp were active, am I safe in assuming that that is not true?

Is there an easy way for me to figure this out?

It could be either that the pickups or active, or the preamp is. If you have a 3-band EQ, then you've got an active preamp.

And honestly, you might want to start playing around with your tone a bit. With a P/J configuration, as well as a nice amp and a 3-band EQ, you should be able to get a lot of nice tones...
Quote by Charlatan_001
It could be either that the pickups or active, or the preamp is. If you have a 3-band EQ, then you've got an active preamp.

And honestly, you might want to start playing around with your tone a bit. With a P/J configuration, as well as a nice amp and a 3-band EQ, you should be able to get a lot of nice tones...

Yeah I do have a 3 band EQ, so my preamp is the active part. I've played around with my tone alot. I have the 3 band EQ on my bass, another 3 band EQ on my amp and I own a 7 band EQ pedal.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp