My amplug classic rock sounds better than any of the settings i can get out of my roland 20 cube.

Why is that?

Its leading me to think, perhaps good effects pedals create a better sound than the extra modelling on a solid state amp. any thoughts on that?
Dude, its common knowledge that amp effects aren't as good as pedals.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
yep, sorry, rephrase it.

will a budget 10w amp with a pedal sound better than the most expensive 10w amp with modelling?
It's all relative, but it's totally possible. I'd rather have a Peavey Bandit/Rage/Whatever with a Big Muff than a Cube, but that's just me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Amplug vs. Cube: It doesn't really have to be a reason, they're just different and you prefer one over the other.

Effects: It depends on what it is and what you're using it for. An analog distortion pedal through a tube amplifier will in many peoples minds sound infinitely better than the distortion from a modeling amp, while that same pedal through the modeling amp might not be that great of a combination. Simplified of course, but I hope that you see what I mean.

10W amp: In my opinion, a budget low wattage tube amp with a distortion pedal has potential to sound better than anything I've found amp modeling to offer, at least under 2000 EUR/USD..
Quote by whoismilan

10W amp: In my opinion, a budget low wattage tube amp with a distortion pedal has potential to sound better than anything I've found amp modeling to offer, at least under 2000 EUR/USD..

ty, thats what im looking for.

so simple, i just buy a pedal and forget the modelling.

what would be a good classic rock pedal similar to the amplug?

its a very acdc type sound, obviuouslly with more distortion, as they never used any. but its very crunchy.
Quote by MmmCesium
Modelling = fail.

Zentera = modeling
Zentera =? fail
Zentera = awesome
awesome =? fail
awesome =/= fail
Zentera =/= fail
\/
modeling =/= fail

however...
your post = wrong
wrong =? fail
wrong = fail
your post = fail

Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by fiztech
its a very acdc type sound, obviuouslly with more distortion, as they never used any. but its very crunchy.

A small tube amp will always (IMO) sound better than a cheap SS, but a good crunchy pedal is the MI Audio Crunchbox, very marshally. But please make sure you don't use this on your cube, pedals running in to modeller amps sound like arse (even more arse than on their own)
id sawy the speaker might have something to do with it as well (if you have good head phones)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by fiztech
what would be a good classic rock pedal similar to the amplug?

Do you have any place in New Zealand where you can try a bunch out? The reason I wrote that it "has potential to sound better" is because there are a lot of different pedals out there, and not all will sound like you want them to.

Gear demos help also, personally I really like the ones by ProGuitarShop on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos
Last edited by whoismilan at Mar 28, 2008,
Quote by whoismilan
Do you have any place in New Zealand where you can try a bunch out? The reason I wrote that it "has potential to sound better" is because there are a lot of different pedals out there, and not all will sound like you want them to.

Gear demos help also, personally I really like the ones by ProGuitarShop on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos

i actually hate those... the OCD for example sound HORRID. the marshall 1987X doesn't sound great at all. the strat always sounds very thin, etc. IMO of course.