I've already installed new tubes for the amp, but I was curious if anyone knows of any pedals to try out with the overdrive channel?

Recently I've taken a Boss MT-2 Metal one distortion pedal and cranked the volume and scooped the gain to create a kinda-sorta preamp distortion effect to blend with the gain channel of the amp. I was wondering though if it would be a good idea to get an overdrive pedal instead of doing this? I've never used an overdrive pedal before and I'm assuming they're pretty much used with an amp's overdrive/gain settings rather than the clean channel.

I'm wanting a nice warm thick sounding distortion. I like bands such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Megadeth, Metallica, Evergrey...pretty much metal, progressive metal, and progressive rock.

Thanks for any comments I receive.
Okay... You are BLESSED with a tube amp, no need to cover it's sound with an MT-2, get yourself some heavy overdrive pedals and let that thing shine!
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
If an OD pedal is what I truely need, can any of you point the way to some pedals that would best suit my needs?
maybe try to add more mids if you have them low

also, using an od with the gain low makes a bigger difference than i thought. it really does help
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oh, and for eq, try something like 75% bass 50-100%mids, and 50%highs with humbuckers and a good overdrive pedal with the tone knob cranked. NO, NOT YOUR MT-2. And, some good pedals to look into include the Tube-Screamer (TS-9DX is pretty nice, but more for a gritty, from SRV to AC/DC style overdrive), the RAT (yes, it's technically a distortion pedal, but it works with the amp and will definitely give you that PUNCH you're looking for, especially if you lift the diodes from the circuit, but that's another thing, pm me if you're interested in trying that out if you know how to solder)
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
oh, and I second using your amp with the pregain set low
Quote by Quoteman
oh, and I second using your amp with the pregain set low

Actually, I believe he ment having the gain on the pedal low, not the amp.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I just wanted to bump this one last time for any new responses I may get in the next 10 to 12 hours before I actually go buy one. I can't try it out with my exact setup before I buy it so I was curious if you guys think it really will give me some good metal/rock distortion if I mixed a Tube Screamer pedal with a B-52 AT-212 tube combo's Gain channel.

Also, if the majority of you still agree about that pedal, where is the best spot to place it in my effects chain? I currently go Guitar > MT-2 (setup like a pregain) > NS-2 Noise Suppressor > GE-7 EQ > Amp In.
I'm going in a few hours to buy it..I just hope it does a good job replacing the MT-2 in my chain with the way I have it set.