ok so ive been reading tabs by other artists for a while now but i really want to write my own, but i cant come with any good riff and solos, i try using scales and modes and they turn out bad, because i want to write some new wave thrash peices like trivium and black tide but i cant seem to come up with anything that sounds boring or crappy any ideas, they would be reallly helpful, plus im jsut starting to learn scales so i can realte the notes to a fretboard and have no problem with that
Quote by F8iscruel
ok so ive been reading tabs by other artists for a while now but i really want to write my own, but i cant come with any good riff and solos, i try using scales and modes and they turn out bad, because i want to write some new wave thrash peices like trivium and black tide but i cant seem to come up with anything that sounds boring or crappy any ideas, they would be reallly helpful, plus im jsut starting to learn scales so i can realte the notes to a fretboard and have no problem with that

Just keep listening to those bands, you'll soon come up with something that sounds boring or crappy.
There is poetry in despair.
Keep trying after a nights sleep, a riff won't always come to you, and if you try and force it it'll sound bad imo I sometimes find I dream riffs, they sound good but I always forget them when I wake up lol

You could also think of a drum pattern in your head and think of stuff to play to that, I do that too. It's given me pretty good results.